Restore issue

rkrishp2004

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

I have taken a backup of a node on a LTO tape through IBM FAST T diskpool, (AIX 4.3.3, TSM 5.1.5)

Now I need to restore this to another node?(not the same node which I took backup) Can any one help on this, I need the specific procedure for this.

Thanks in advance

Krishna

Suppose you have two nodes (Client A(Backuped), Client B(Restore TO)) and Client A already registered onTSM Server:

1. On TSM Server, registe Client B and and node owner:

reg node Client_B passwd

2. Grant Client B ownership of Client A

grant authority Client_B classes=node authority=owner node=Client_A

3. modify dsm.opt on Client B

SErvername ......(TSM SERVER NAME)

commmethod TCPIP

TCPPORT .....

tcpserveraddress ......(TSM SERVER IP)

nodename client_a

passwordaccess generate

Then you can restore from Client B.

BTW, the restore will overwrite the same contents on Client B which is backuped on Client A. Therefore, you must be very carefully.

Gook Luck.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Hi,

I have taken a backup of a node on a LTO tape through IBM FAST T diskpool, (AIX 4.3.3, TSM 5.1.5)

Now I need to restore this to another node?(not the same node which I took backup) Can any one help on this, I need the specific procedure for this.

Thanks in advance

Krishna</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I do many restores/retrieves from one machine to another machine. This is how I do it.

First, both nodes must be registerd to the same Tsm server. If you are using a Storage agent, then there are other issues involved.

1. On the server you wish to restore to

dsmc -virtualnodename=&lt;node_with_backup>

This will prompt you for user id and password of this node. You can either enter the node name and password, or you can use your Tsm system account as well. Once you have done this, you will have access to all backups and archives of that node. Then you will simply restore the data you want.

Here is another method.

1. On the server that has the backups you wish to restore.

dsmc set access backup * &lt;node_to_restore_to>

This will grant access to all backups to the server you wish to restore to.

Back