Restore file server to different node

eriweste

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hallo

Planning to move my file server (win2ksrv) to a new node (different hardware).

Found i guide on URL=http://ezbackup.cornell.edu/techsup-v4.2/cu/faq/w2k/BMRw2k42130.html]Guide[/URL]

What extra step do i have to take to restore filepermission, and network shares permission (about 350 of them). ?

Can I after apply computer Sevicepacks (compaq SSD) after the file-restore ?, so that the computer still starts, or is their another way

regards

\erik

Unless you have a pressing need to move the data to tape then back to disk try ROBOCOPY out of the Win2k Resource Kit. It will copy security.

You can copy the registry key for the shares. (Services/lanman server/shares - something like that)

No matter how you do it, if the SID in the ACL is local, not a domain account, it will be meaningless on the target system.

Andy

thanks for the quick reply.

Robotcopy seems like a good idea. The accounts are global.

You mean that I can use robotcopy from the source fileserver, I dont need to involve TSM ?

Regards

\erik

Beware this thread seems to have drifted off the subject of TSM.

You can use RoboCopy to copy the data directly from the source server to the destination with security. Since you remove a middle destination you effectively take half the time.

Read the docs for RoboCopy, look for:

/mir (mirror, very dangerous, very useful)

/np (no progress, you need this if you log the copy)

/r:x (number of retries, default 1,000,000)

/w:x (wait between retries, default 30 sec)

/log (where to log)

/s & /e (what to do with sub-directories)

We use: RoboCopy source destination /mir /r:1 /w:1 /np /s /e /log:c:\logfile.log

Read the docs, /mir can cause loss of data, it has caused us to lose data.

Andy

Back