Restore DB and roll-forward to point in time?

MarkC

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
This morning, some node data was mistakenly deleted from TSM, and we wish to restore the TSM database to the point in time before this happened.

Our database log is in roll-forward mode, so it is my understanding, based on roll-forward capabilities of other database systems, that we should be able to restore the lastest full backup (we don't have incrementals) and then roll forward using the recovery log.

We're using TSM version 5.5.1.

I have tried the following command:

dsmserv restore db todate=04/28/2009 totime=09:50

However the first thing dsmserv does in this case is start formatting the log. So clearly this isn't the right method. Fortunately I backed up the log files first.

If I specify only:

dsmserv restore db

then the entire log is recovered, including the transactions we wish to avoid.

Is there a way to achieve what I want, or does the TSM database system really not allow such flexibility in recovery?

Hi,

does not work that way
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21197512

If your life depends on it I would try go through full restore (with the log) to know how many records are there to replay and then (during another run) I will kill the process in the middle hoping it survives it.
Not a clean solution, I know - but maybe it is the only one ....

Harry

Thanks very much for your reply. I expected this to be the answer really.

The situation is not too bad. The deleted data is in separate storage pools from a previous archival strategy and we just need to keep it for a year until it expires.

So I can produce a list of tapes that need to be kept, even though they are no longer listed as volumes in TSM. If I retain these along with an old database backup then I should be able to restore data from them if necessary.

All I have to do is make sure those tapes do not get recalled and used as scratch volumes, as they will appear to be unused if someone decides to check through the offsite list.

Thanks,
Mark

Back