Restore data to different windows server

jeffso

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

My question is basically customer is trying to restore data from one server to another server. The scenario is ServerA is on TSM at siteA Production and ServerB is on TSM at siteB DR site. Is it possible to login to ServerB and restore data file that was backed up on ServerA?

Each of the window server (client v6.2.4) have 2 network interfaces, TSM server (v5.5.6.100) are on different network segment.

Thank you and regards,

Jeffrey

It depends. Are you sending a copy of your tapes to siteb?

If so, you can restore your TSM DB from servera to serverb and use the copy pool to restore data.

Hi,

My question is basically customer is trying to restore data from one server to another server. The scenario is ServerA is on TSM at siteA Production and ServerB is on TSM at siteB DR site. Is it possible to login to ServerB and restore data file that was backed up on ServerA?

Each of the window server (client v6.2.4) have 2 network interfaces, TSM server (v5.5.6.100) are on different network segment.

Thank you and regards,

Jeffrey

On site B are you restoring (or the proper term moving the data) the whole node data that was backed up on Site A? If the answer is YES, you can just do an export of the node from site A to site B. You can now restore the whole data to the node (server) that is on site B, if you wish.

On the other hand, if you are just restoring a few bits of the data from the node in site A to site B, you can cheat by creating a new dsm.opt file on the node in site B so that the TSM server in site A thinks it is the node in site A. Caveat? You need to disable the node in site A while the restore is happening.

Addendum:

For any of the above to be successful, Site A and B MUST be linked. If these are not, DRIVECHIP's method is the only way.

Last edited:
I am not the company TSM administrator, just wanted to confirm that this is achievable or not.
The site are linked network wise. Now need to figure out the dsm.opt parameter to modify.

Thank you all.

Just copy the dsm.opt file from the server in node A, as long as you know the node password, it's that easy.
(I prefer to change the passwordaccess to 'Prompt' and eventually change clusternode from yes to no)

It isn't necessary to disable the node in site A when you are running a restore, if the backup uses volumes that are needed by restore, it will just stop the backup process (restore is more important)
Firewall must be opened for TCP/1500 from site B to site A.

Best luck
Ståle

Back