Restore complete filesystem on new volume - directories problem

piwex69

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello, I have to restore complete contents (dirs, files) from one client to freshly created volume. The backups are scattered between hundreds of tape volumes in the tape library. Each time we try to restore either selected folder or entire volume, the process takes several minutes and wastes time on hundreds of volume mounts. Each time, single volume is taken only for few kilobytes, and then changed to another.

We have on client RESOURCEUTIL=10
We have on server for that client: MAXNUMMP = 4 (equal to number of drives)
TSM Server = 5.4 win2003
TSM Client = 5.5 win2003

We tried iether NQR or Classic restore - no big difference.
It appears each part (folder name) included in the destination PATH of a directory object being restored is constructed from different tape data.
For instance:
\\msc01\f$\data\finance\one\two\three\file.txt
is restored as 7 objects, data, finance, one, two , three - each from different tape. filetxt - from different.
All dirs are stored with DIRMC managementclass.

My question - how to avoid this and speed-up the restore?

We tried -filelist restore with -preserv=complete and -filesonly
This works, but it requires to mannualy create a few million entries in the source file (from select from tsm, which takes verrrryyy long).

Please help if you can, we are in a great danger.

regards
piwex

Dear Ed,
Yes you are right, I do not have this node collocated.
Anything else could help ?
We are trying to get the list for -filelist, but it also goes too long.
Maybe there is a "restore from query" option, which would restore objects selected by query ?

Please help, I am in a great mess. The company today (Monday) had total breakdown.
px

Hi,

MAYBE it can help if you create file-based pool and use "move nodedata" for particular node to this storage. It should take all the data from one tape at once and after that you can restore from disk.
You will restore the data twice in fact but may be faster.

Harry

I think, it is to late to speed up the restore process. If you don't use collacation, sometimes is it a good practice to use the move nodedata. In this case the server will "collect" the node data to fewer tapes. To ensure that the files remains restorable, the TSM server retain the directories according to the DIRMC.

Back