Remove Client Scheduler Service

mitchschultz

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
A weekly backup job I created on a Win2k server using TSM 5.5.0 recently failed to run - missed its scheduled start up window. In checking into the reason why, I decided to remove and recreate its scheduler service. It was not using CAD to begin with and I was not planning to use CAD when I recreated it. I went thru the steps using the Wizard in the GUI to "remove a previously installed scheduler". I then used the Wizard to create a new scheduler service (using the same name as the one I removed) and that resulted in the error the service was marked for deletion. I received this same message (service marked for deletion) several times trying different methods of removing it. I even deleted the dsmsched and dsmerror logs & recreated them.

When I checked the services, it was still listed, however, it was Disabled. I was unable to enable it, as it was marked for deletion. I attempted to "Update a Previously Installed Scheduler" using the wizard in the GUI. When I clicked finish, it stated an error resulted in creating the service. When I clicked OK, it said "Scheduler Service Successfully Updated". The service then switched to Automatic Start up, but when I tried to start the service, the message was "Could not start the TSM OS Scheduler service on Local Computer. Error 1058: The service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

I then decided to try using the dsmcutil to remove the service. The end result was "The handle to the Service Control Database is invalid. The service was not removed."

Why, if it is marked for deletion, does the scheduler service still exist? Why has it not been "deleted"?

How do I remove the scheduler service so that I can recreate the service for this job?

Try uninstalling then exit the client, possibly reboot to stop the TSM services, then re-run the setup wizard.

Do you mean uninstalling the TSM Client all together? I have not yet tried that, however rebooting may not be an option anytime soon. This is my DNS/DHCP server!

Do you mean uninstalling the TSM Client all together? I have not yet tried that, however rebooting may not be an option anytime soon. This is my DNS/DHCP server!

Try uninstall the scheduler first, exit the application, stop the Windows services for TSM (TSM Scheduler?). Then go back into the application and setup the scheduler (or new scheduler).

What I discovered with TSM client for Windows is you'll need to reboot to get residue stuff clear out. Additionally, if you want to uninstall the client (everything) requires a reboot to clear stuff out, then re-installing the app.

Just in case, you can't remove the client smoothly, here is a link to an IBM document that explains how to remove it manually:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21141048

I have a client here that it took the above to finally remove TSM from it.

Thanks, Jacob_6, however, that link states Document Not Found.

Mikeatkc - Is there an option to just uninstall the scheduler service? I tried using Add/Remove programs - Modify, but there is not an option to uninstall just the scheduler. I've also tried using the TSM Client Config Wizard to remove the scheduler, however, it still remains. I don't even get an error when I click Finish. The "completing TSM Client Config Wizard" window stays on the screen. My only option at that point is to cancel.

I am going to try and see when it may be possible to reboot this server.

Try stopping the Windows Services for TSM Client Scheduler. Next, if you're not using TDP, try removing the directory adsm.sys and then re-run the wizard and see if that'll help. From experience, the Windows Services for TSM Client Scheduler needs to stop or not running somehow in order to re-config/re-run the scheduler.

Quick view of Windows Services, type "services.msc" from your Run... to bring up the Windows Services Console.

Try stopping the Windows Services for TSM Client Scheduler. Next, if you're not using TDP, try removing the directory adsm.sys and then re-run the wizard and see if that'll help. From experience, the Windows Services for TSM Client Scheduler needs to stop or not running somehow in order to re-config/re-run the scheduler.

Quick view of Windows Services, type "services.msc" from your Run... to bring up the Windows Services Console.

None of the TSM services are running. I've stopped the services that were running, however, the TSM OS Scheduler service will not start or can I disable it (this is the scheduler service that I am having issues with).

I also do not have an adsm.sys directory.

Interestingly enough, I attempted to use the dsmcutil once again to try to remove the service. It reported that the service did not exist. OK.... So I go back and checked my services and, low and behold, the TSM OS Scheduler service was no where to be found!! :confused: '

I have now been able to recreate the Scheduler service. Now... If I could only remember why I wanted to remove it and recreate it....

Thanks for all your help. :tongue:

I talked to a friend, here is a copy of the steps:

The following procedures need to be run in order to completely remove the TSM client/server software:
  1. Stop all TSM services that may be running on the machine, using either the 'dsmcutil stop' , 'net stop', or the Services control panel applet. Use the 'dsmcutil list' command to see a list of installed services that must be stopped.
  1. Go to the add/remove programs and verify that Tivoli Storage Manager products do not exist in any form. If they do, remove them all. Also check the "Tivoli Storage Manager" program group to see if there may be any other clients installed that can be removed.
  1. Remove any/all directory structures of the TSM Client/API files. Error logs and option files may remain as they are not installed by the Client installation process. (i.e. C:\program files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\)
  1. Remove/delete shortcuts from the desktop/start menu programs.
  1. Remove any/all extracted, pre-installation client files. For example, you might have a c:\tsm_images directory. Delete these folders entirely.
  1. Open Registry using regedit and export the key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM] and all of its subkeys to a file (in case we need to restore them).
  1. Export the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControllSet\Services] key as well.
  1. Remove/delete the ADSM subkey: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM].
  1. Remove/delete the following subkeys from [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControllSet\Services]
    • * TSM Server 1
    • * TSM Client Acceptor
    • * TSM Scheduler
    • * TSM Client Performance
    • * TSM Remote Client Agent
    • Note: The above services may vary depending on what software (client vs. server) was installed on the system and what TSM services are in use. Use the output from 'dsmcutil list' to confirm the installed services.
  1. Reboot the machine.
  1. Verify that the above is done (if removed, that it doesn't exist; if keys deleted, that they are truly gone).

** For additional information on editing the Windows Registry, please see Microsoft article 136393

It looks like IBM pulled the document.

Thanks, Jacob_6, for the uninstall info. I truly appreciate it. Somehow I was able to get the service removed (I think it was a little magic...) and was able to create a new scheduler service and got it started. I did remove the other services that were there from a former backup that is no longer part of a schedule (ie: scheduler service, journaling service and CAD service). As of now, the only service running is the TSM OS Scheduler service that I was able to finally re-create.

Thanks again! I will keep that information for future reference (and just incase I have any additional problems with this backup).

We run into this every once in awhile when upgrading clients. For example version 5.5.1 doesn't always let you stop the CAD, update code, and reuse the CAD.

You can always use DSMUTIL to create new services while you wait for a window to restart the server. The biggest PITA for us is that our TSM services are HPOV monitored. When one gets stuck in a disabled state and we don't catch it in a 5 minute window emails and service tickets are generated.

Also its additional work to go back and recreate the correct services once the server has been recycled.

Back