Regarding TSM 6.2 tunning and performance issue

MIHIR

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m seeking some technical suggestion from All of you, One of my server, which is configured in VM machine its database size is now approximately 1 TB, and it’s taking long time(2 days) to finish the backup. So, is there any tuning needed to faster the backup ? Another thing is, this VM machine backup is configured in LAN base and is there any way to configured the VM machine backup LAN free, if it’s possible then how ? please suggest me.

My servers operating system is Red Hat Enterprise 5.6, we are running SAP. Using ESX 4.1

Look forward for your valuable suggestion.

Regards

Mihir

Last edited:
If I read you correctly, your tsm server is running ion redhat.

TSM is not good at handling TCP Window size on linux. In dsmserv.opt insert a line 'tcpwindowsize 0', that wil make tsm use the os defaults for window scaling.

For disk io, look at how you are mounting your disks, there are a lot of variations out there.

I have good expirience setting 'echo noop > /sys/block/YOURBLOCKSTORAGE/queue/scheduler This setting is by default set to CFQ, which is terrible slow when your disks are behind raid cards or san based.

Good luck, and tell us how it worked out.

yes you are right, my server is running on redhat and all backups are running smoothly including LAN free and LAN base. But problem is on of my VM machine backup which is configured in LAN base. please see the below content of my tsmserver's dsmserver.opt file and there is no entry for tcpwindowsize.
-----------------------------------------
COMMMethod TCPIP
TCPPort 1500

DEVCONFIG devconf.dat
VOLUMEHISTORY volhist.dat
TCPADMINPort 1500

MIRRORLOGDirectory /tsmdb/log/tsmlogmirror
ARCHFAILOVERLOGDirectory /tsmdb/log/tsmarchlogfailover
ACTIVELOGDirectory /tsmdb/log/tsmlog
ARCHLOGDirectory /tsmdb/log/tsmarchlog
SANDISCOVERY ON
-------------------------------------------------