Recovery log growing very quickly

uno

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We are in the process of upgrading from TSM 5.5 to TSM 6.1. I have set up a test server that I have installed TSM 6.1 and imported the extracted 5.5 database to. It seems to work fine, but I cannot access the disk volumes or tape library since they are on the 5.5 server. When we do the "real" upgrade, I will replace the current system disks in the 5.5 server and install TSM 6.1 on them, allowing the new server to access all the volumes and devices it need.

I do, however, have a problem with the test server. The archive log is growing very quickly. It creates a new 512MB file apporximately every 2 minutes. No procs or sessions are running on the server.
Could this problem have something to do with the server not being able to access its volumes and devices? I'm afraid to start the production upgrade until I have found the cause for this, because I don't want to end up with an upgraded system that fills the log disk in less than a day.
There is nothing in the actlog that indicates why the archive log is filling up. The server is not even doing anything unless I tell it to, since the schedules are disabled.

There was a post here not long ago, similar to your issue. Their server was kicking off a dbbackup constantly. I can't find it but just letting you know it's around here somewhere. The answer was a link to IBM Developer wiki with a very indepth explanation from IBM. The poster was the author of the doc.

Thanks, I will try to find that post. I can, however, not find anything in the actlog about any dbbackups (except the ones i manually run).
It also seems like the archive log is not cleared when i run a full dbbackup. I even ran it twice, but the files are still there. Shouldn't they be cleared when I run the backup?

Back