Recovering Failed Server

Lizard

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi.

I am aware of the 'supported' method of recovering a failed TSM server (library client server) - eg reinstalling program - restoring database from last good backup

What I want to know is that if a server's OS has corrupted (windows) and it has been reinstalled, but before wiping, the TSM install directory + registry keys exported, is it possible to recover by
1. reinstalling OS
2. reinstalling program
3. copying previous program folder in
4. importing previous registry keys containing some settings, paths and services
5. database vols, log vols, storage pool vols all in the same drive letters as previous

?

know it is not 'supported' but want to know if it is possible

It might, hard to say due to the registry. I have done it that way with UNIX when we lost a root vg. The DB, Log, and StgPools were on FastT and fine. Came right up when we reinstalled TSM (we had the dsmserv.dsk, devconfig.out, and volhist.out available too).

if your are talking about a real DR of the machine it an work,
unless your dbvol, reclogvol and stgpoolvols was not destoyed

just thought I'd post an update - it has all worked fine.

yes all my storage volumes, log and db vols were all intact. I just basically had to do a fresh OS, fresh TSM server install, import all TSM related registry keys I could find for software and services, and drop the TSM folder in - BUT with two additional steps:

1. changing the dsm.dsk file to remove the top line (#dsk_comment#page_shadow_token:nnnnnn) and
2. edit dsmserv.opt file - change DPPageshadow from yes to no
3. start server
4. halt the server
5. edit the dsmserv.opt and change dbpageshadow from no back to yes
(if you check dsmserv.dsk file, you will see it would have reread the volumes and rewritten a new #dsk_comment line by itself)
6. restart dsmserv and make sure it runs ok

Kool, so you can know ay to yourself backups can save not life, but lots of time & trouble
;-)

Back