Recover exchange 2007 backup without an exchange 2007 server - Only a 2010 server

vbtivoli

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi is it true that we need a Exchange 2007 server to restore mailbox that was on a 2007 server

We upgrade to exchange 2010 and we don't have the old server anymore....

Level 3 of Ibm said that...

As for this 2007 mailbox restore issue, I've talked to our level3 support, and the following is the response, please feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.
1) Backups done of Exchange 2007 can not be restored to Exchange 2010 - different storage group/database structure, etc.

2) Mailboxes from backups of Exchange 2007 can not be restored to Exchange 2010 because of the same (#1) - we first need to restore a database to RDB and then recover a mailbox from the RDB.

3) MS has migrate procedures that describe how to migrate from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 ... also migrate Mailboxes from 2007 to 2010 (it migrates the mailboxes from server to server but not from backups of Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010).

4) If they need to restore some mailbox from old backup (Exchange 2007), they need Exchange 2007 server for doing IMR. First restore a mailbox from a proper backup to Exchange 2007 and then, if they are restoring to a mailbox on Exchange 2007, they can use MS tool (I do not remember exact name of this cmdlet now - it is usually described in the migrate procedures) to migrate that mailbox from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010.

5) 'q tsm' and 'select..' shows different results because they were issued for different nodes.

6) the warning message about the repository can be gotten if unsupported locale is set on a machine. Try Language option in tdpexc.cfg:
LANGuage ENU

Thanks for a second advice

I ran into this exact same issue, and we ended up purchasing a 3rd party product from Ontrack called PowerControls.

We have a 2010 server now and I can still recover from my 2007 and 5.5 Exchange backups without needing to have those servers. It simple restores to a PST file.
I've had issues performing a restore on a Exchange 2010 DB with the software and the developers said they are working on a fix, however the mailbox level restore integrated in the new TSM client works great.

We purchased it a while ago and I'm not sure the costs, but it wasn't too bad if my memory serves me correct.
http://www.krollontrack.com/information-management/email-management-for-exchange/

++No, I do not work for them++

But how did you recover the 2007 database ?

The told me i neeed an exchange 2007 server to recover the database..

Thanks for the info !

The software will recover the entire database and logs to a specified location, then you use the extraction utility to export whatever data you want either directly into a mailbox on the exchange server to we just simply exported to a PST for the user to grab whatever emails they wanted.

If you want to have the 2007 server fully operation, then obviously you'll need to have a 2007 server.

Ok but how you recover the database on the tivoli backup ?

Back