Reclamation Process

dpomatto

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
We have the reclamation process running once per day. We are constantly running out of Scratch tapes for the nightly backups. Any thoughts on running the Reclamation process twice (or more) times per day?

you can use a lower reclaim threshold or create an admin schedule to run reclamation job

Reclamation is normally run when the threshold level has been reached. If you set the threshold for, say 40%, the process will kick in if the space utilization goes below 40%. Even if you attempt to run reclamation again and have not changed anything on the threshold level, then it will simply not run as there is nothing to reclaim.

However, if you set it to a different value, and run it again, then it will run.

Last edited:
Also pay attention to what volumes you are reclaiming. If you are reclaiming an offsite volume, TSM uses onsite volumes (often scratch volumes) to create the offsite data on a new tape to then send offsite. The current offsite tape hasn't been returned yet and now TSM has used another scratch tape.

Also check your onsite storage pool volume occupancy....Q VOL STG=<onsite stgpool> ...You may have many volumes with very little use, in which case you can do a MOVE DATA <volume name> to move that data to other volumes within the same storage pool. Keep in mind though, that if your MAXSCRATCH value is higher than the "Number of Scratch Volumes Used" and you have scratch tapes available, TSM may grab a scratch tape to write that data instead of using a current volume that belongs to the storage pool. If it does that then you haven't gained anything, you've only moved data from one tape to another, using a new scratch while creating a new scratch (used to contain stgpool data before you moved it)

I occasionally run this manually to see what volumes I can get back if I use different reclaim thresholds.
... select volume_name,pct_reclaim,stgpool_name from volumes where pct_reclaim>*threshold value* order by stgpool_name,pct_reclaim

Last edited:
You can also tell TSM the amount of tapes you need to reclaim and it run to meet this figure

You can also tell TSM the amount of tapes you need to reclaim and it run to meet this figure

Sounds interesting, do you have a script for this that you could post?

Reclaim stgpool CHWCOPy Threshold=99 wait=no duration=350 offsitereclaimlimit=10

Thanks, I thought you meant a script just to get a report of the number without actually running reclaim.

try these:
select count (*) from volumes where stgpool_name='your stg pool' and pct_reclaim >75

Or

select volume_name from volumes where stgpool_name='your stg pool' and pct_reclaim >75

Back