Rebuild tape index

pkn

Newcomer
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

Is it possible to rebuild an index of tape contents.

I have lost my TSM setup (All setups, databases etc.), but I still have the tapes, and would like to restore the data. (No DRM available. I know, I should be ashamed !! )

The setup ran on a Windows 2000 server, and I have a Sony tape library.

I'm pretty new to TSM, but not a newbie to command lines and backup terms.

Any help would be very nice.

Thanks.

PKN :)

Without the TSM database, all those backup tapes are worthless. There is no "index" on each tape. All the information is within the TSM database.

What you can try...and it will take a VERY long time...and then might not work

Reinstall TSM on the server and setup the library. Then issue the "dsmserv restore db" command on each of the tapes in the library. If you did atleast one DB backup, you'll stumble across it this way and get the DB back so you can do the restore.

-Aaron

Did you have a good backup of your TSM database ? and do you know the tape volume number ?

If you don't, nothing can be done. But if you do, you can manually rebuild the devconfig file, the volume history file with one entry that point to the backup volume number. Then you can restore the your DB. After the restore is succesed, all information will be recoverd.

I don't have any experience with TSM in Windows but I believe TSM ahs a similar design in both Window and AIX. Good luck !

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Hi,

Is it possible to rebuild an index of tape contents.

I have lost my TSM setup (All setups, databases etc.), but I still have the tapes, and would like to restore the data. (No DRM available. I know, I should be ashamed !! )

The setup ran on a Windows 2000 server, and I have a Sony tape library.

I'm pretty new to TSM, but not a newbie to command lines and backup terms.

Any help would be very nice.

Thanks.

PKN :)

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Back