random or sequential for VTL?

learner123

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to hook up a VTL to TSM and create its path, library, drives, devclass, stgpool, etc.

Can someone please tell me what "Device access strategy" I should be using between random and sequential?

Thanks.

- Steve

Just a thought....depending on the hardware you can either do a stgpool or vtl - if you do the VTL you're going to have to deal with paths, drives, etc. While with a stgpool its just random disk. Keep in mind when you are looking at concurrent client sessions (if going directly to VTL) resourceutilization will mean more "drives mounted" per client.

Just a thought....depending on the hardware you can either do a stgpool or vtl - if you do the VTL you're going to have to deal with paths, drives, etc. While with a stgpool its just random disk. Keep in mind when you are looking at concurrent client sessions (if going directly to VTL) resourceutilization will mean more "drives mounted" per client.

So, let's say I choose "random" for my VTL. Everything else should be the same as configuring a normal tape library, right?

Thanks.

- Steve

As I understand it - its either set up as random (which would be a diskpool) or sequential (which would be a library) a VTL is essentially a library, it has to be sequential.

If you define a diskpool its random, if you define a library its sequential ... automaticly

Back