Question Regarding Device Class

ad283m

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi!!!

I have a situation, I got two new libraries, now I need to create my new device classes, however, It jumped to me this post:
"In hindsight, I should have created a device class for each storage
pool. That is now going to be a part of my standard installation since
it costs very little to do it and can save an awful lot in the long run."

I need to create new storage pools and all.

So in your opinion is it better to do a device class for each storage pool or a new device class for each library.

Now I have my storage pools in 20 and counting!!! It's going to be awful to manage soon.

Best Regards.

Device class relationship to a storage pool is One-to-Many. A storage pool gets assigned a device class, but many storage pools can have the same device class assigned to them. No need to define separate device classes for each storage pool, unless each storage pool is going to store data to different device classes.

You also don't create a device class for a library. You create it for the drive type that you are using in the library.

hiiii,

I have two librarys one day my senior came and ask me to take backup of 10 TB it will put my one library in complete use. At that time there are some schedules on that library so i have just changed the library parameter in the device classs for storage pools of that schedules to secondary and ran those scheduled backups. " If you create the device classes you can change the library when required"

"It helped in my case , but if you do not have this type of situations careate less device classes".

Back