question about different backups from single server

f4ts0

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pexim.net
Hi,

I have following situation :

On file share server there are 3 folders that are to be backed up.

folder A - keep files for 30 days
folder B - keep files for 40 days
folder C - keep files for 90 days

I created 3 policy domains (30days, 40days, 90 days) and 3 dsm.opt files
dsm.opt - node name "a"
dsm1.opt - node name "b"
dsm2.opt - node name "c"

Also 3 schedules inside each policy domain (for clients a,b,c)

Schedules are performing incremenatal backups, via command. Script looks like :

dsmc incremental "<folder path>" /optfile=<path to matching dsm.opt> -sub=yes

3 scripts for each client/schedule are created. Syntax is ok, everything seems ok.

Now problem is that only schedule regarding node "a" is successful, schedules regarding nodes b and c are missed. When i run scripts manually, everuthing works. Also from GUI, it is operational (i logon as node a,b,c works fine)

Any idea? First thing that crosses my mind is that i need 3 scheduler services for each node, but it seems to exotic :)

One more thing :

What about this setup :

3 policy domains, 3 different retention periods, but only 1 client node (a for example) assigned to 3 different policy domains? Is this better than initial idea?

Tnx in advance

HI

I think you are making this way more complicated than it needs to be.

1 node, 1 domain, 1 schedule,1 dsm.opt file is all that is needed. Then 3 different management classes defined in the domain with individual copygroups to match your retention requirements.

Then in your dsm.sys or inclexcl file you bind the folder A,B and C to the relevant management class.

Then you just do dsmc incr and the incremental backup will run on all the folders binding the data to the correct management class and keeping the data as you want it

Hope that makes sense..

Hi,

one node, one domain, 3 management classes (with 3 retention settings), 1 schedule - this is how TSM is meant to be implemented

Harry

Edit .... one minute late :)

thank you.

I need a little help here, i was pretty sure that only 1 MC can be active at the time.
So, if i create 3 MC, i just need a bit clarification which one shall be default MC, or it doesnt matter?

Hi,

no, you can have only one ACTIVE POLICY SET, but it can contain more mgmt classes. One of them is default - it is used unles otherwise specified.

Harry

Ok thank you all clear now about setup.

Just one more question, how to "bind folder to relevant mngmt class". I mean is there option like /mngmtclass=<name> if you get what i mean?

Tnx a lot again

thank you, but since client insists that schedule action is "command", can i add "MGMTCLASS_NAME" in script, something like :

dsmc incremental "<folder path>" -syb=yes MGMTCLASS_NAME

Hi,

no, you do not need that - insert the line into dsm.opt and run:
dsmc incremental "<folder path>" -sub=yes

It is enough.

Harry

ilovetsm: ... as you said :)

Last edited:
thank you, but since client insists that schedule action is "command", can i add "MGMTCLASS_NAME" in script, something like :

dsmc incremental "<folder path>" -syb=yes MGMTCLASS_NAME

HI

you don't need to specify the mgmtclass in the script.. just do
dsmc incremental "<folder path>" -subd=yes

The backup will read the dsm.sys and inclexcl statements in there

if you are using a scheduler on the client it will need stopping/restarted to pick up changes you make to dsm.sys

Cheers

types of backup

hi all,,

i need exact definitions for incremental,selective,differential,snapshot,journalbased,image backup.

thanx in advance

differential backup

hi all,,

what is called differential backup?
thanx in advance.

Back