question about data mover on netapp

javajockey

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with a simple strategy for backing up an offsite location.
Since I'm only going to have a 10mb link between the offsite location and my data center bandwidth is a concern. If I understand correctly, I can have a netApp onsite configured as a "data mover" and the backup backup traffic will be isolated onsite. (except the database transitions) During the weekends, I could run a DRM job to copy the data over the slow WAN link to my data ceter.

Does this sound correct? Am I missing something.

I'm not sure I follow... "backup traffic will be isolated onsite" - what is onsite? the offsite location or the data center?

Sorry I wasn't more clear. Isolating the backup traffic to the offsite "satellite" location. In other words, Clients send there nightly backup data to the NetAPP that on the same LAN, as opposed to the TSM server in the Offsite Data Center. Over the weekends, the WAN traffic would be available for DRM and migrations.

I'm still not completely clear, but it sounds like you're using the satellite NAS as storage pool within TSM at the data center. Without a TSM server at the satellite location, all of the data will still go across that WAN link. Actually, it'll go back and forth twice - onces from client to the TSM server, then back from TSM server to NAS stg pool. If I've got this wrong, let me know.

Well, I contacted TSM support on this. The expert told me the data would in fact be isolated to the offsite location. This would be the case since the "copy destination" would be the NAS. The proposed solution would work exactly as I anticipated. I was hoping someone would reply with some "field experience" using this technique.

Back