Query volumes list need to restore files from backup

shadab

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

i need to know any sql queries which will tell me that what are the tapes list tsm required to complete a restore task. normally after restarting the restore, tsm is keep on asking tapes one after one, i need to know the tapes list which will be required to restore my files from the node like daily incremental backup. i dont want to know the list of tapes use to full node recovery.

thanks in advance.

regards,
shadab.

You could try using the restore volume vol_name preview=yes and then check the actlog for the volumes required. You will probably have to mark the volume to be restored as destroyed first.

Dear Rallingham.
thanks for your reply. but my question is that if any user request comd from user to restore his files from like fileserver. when i start the initial restore it will mount one volume and start restoring, after some time again ask another volume which i need to checkin again and again its ask for more volumes to check in. if i will know or the moment i click on restore and select the files need to restore and click on Ok (i restore through GUI), the list of required volumes for this job should display in console, so its easy for me to checkin the tapes if they are outside and again start the restore or retrive process (like how its shows in netbackup). there should be some command or query or way which will tell the list of volumes once we start the process.
pls anyone help.

pls reply gurus !!!!.

tell me how can i see the tapes list which will required during restore of few folders and files from fileserver. can i see all the required tapes in initial stage so i can checkin them all together otherwise after office hours it will keep asking tapes and my restore job get failed.
my drive capacity is 44 tapes. means so many primary tapes are checked out. in my case when restore start tsm asking one tape and after sometime its waiting for another tape to mount.means i dont know which tape it will ask during restore process.

You could try this: select * from backups where node_name='Node_Name' and ll_name='file_name.wav' Change the file_name to the name of the file you want to restore and the Node_name to the node you are on. This command runs from the administrative command line.
You will see output and look for: "OBJECT_ID: 9229488"
You should then be able to copy that object id and do a: show bfo 0 object_id (111111) replace the 111111 with the object ID number. This should give you the volumes required. For example here is some output:

show bfo 0 9552389

Bitfile Object: 0.9552389
**Archival Bitfile Entry
Bitfile Type: PRIMARY Storage Format: 9
Bitfile Size: 0.5504831 Number of Segments: 1
Storage Pool ID: 10 Volume ID: 409631 Volume Name: A00115L1
**Archival Bitfile Entry
Bitfile Type: COPY Storage Format: 9
Bitfile Size: 0.5504831 Number of Segments: 1
Storage Pool ID: -2 Volume ID: 409666 Volume Name: A00073L1

Maybe this will help a bit. Please note that these select statements can take a very long time to run and chews up I/O. So handle with care

Back