pSeries TSM Server sizing

newtop

Newcomer
Reaction score
I am new to pSeries and need to install TSM to backup data from two remote sites. What pSeries box is recommended? Data stats are below.

# of servers being backed up: 240

Average #GB per day: 6tb
Average #GB per week: 40tb
Amount of data currently housed in TSM: 300tb total storage

Assuming that you remote sites have a big pipe, you'll need something that can move lots of data quickly, but most pseries can do this. Have you figured out the size of the TSM database? You may need multiple instances if that turns out to be over 100GB or so. What about other applications? If this is just be for TSM, a 550 may be suitable. (You can then put the server on AIX or Linux.) You'll just want something that can handle multiple 4Gb SAN connections.

Try to translate this to GB/hr and database size (which will depend on the number of files and versioning).

I just got finished replacing 5 Sun servers with a P520. This is the cheapest Power6 box and the box is Rockin! I'm running around 1300 clients on this server with data rates around 5TB per day. Your disk subsystem is probably going to be the limiting factor. I had a pretty limited budget to work with if I was going to stay with TSM. I can give you some pointers regarding how to configure the server.

Back