Problem with LAN Free with shared memory

maple

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I am getting the following error message when I start my storage agent.
Is there anyone able to help me out?
I am trying to get the VStorage API working using the standard TSM client 6.2.3.1 but I am firstly trying to get my LAN free configuration working using the shared memory configuration.

I should mention that the TSM server is 6.2.2 running on AIX 6.1 and the storage agent is 6.2.1 running on W2K8.

Code:
ANR8277E Shared memory unable to initialize - Port: xxxxx,Reason: 2.

Here is my configuration.

dsm.opt
Code:
COMMMethod              TCPip
TCPPort                 1500
TCPServeraddress        TSMSERVERIP
Passwordaccess          Generate
HTTPPORT                1581
ERRORLOGRetention       30
SCHEDLOGRetention       30
NodeName                MYNODE
enablelanfree     yes
lanfreetcpserveraddress MYSTA
lanfreecommmethod    sharedmem
lanfreeshmport        1510
 VMCHOST host.domain.net
VMCUSER svcacct_vmtsm
VMCPW ****
VMFULLTYPE VSTOR
VMMC "FULL_VM_MGMT"
VMBACKUPTYPE FILE

dsmsta.opt
Code:
SERVERNAME    MYSERVER
DEVCONFIG    devconfig.txt
COMMMETHOD    TCIP
COMMMETHOD    SHAREDMEM
TCPPORT        1502
sharedmemport 1510
Resourcetimeout 120

devconfig.txt
Code:
SET STANAME MTSTA
SET STAPASSWORD xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SET STAHLADDRESS TSMSERVERIP
DEFINE SERVER MYSERVER HLADDRESS=TSMSERVERIP LLADDRESS=1500 SERVERPA=xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Hi,

Windows firewall is not blocking port 1510?
Storage Agent and Client Scheduler running with same account?

Hi yuki

Thanks for the suggestion, I have disabled windows firewall and still the same result. I have also tried numerous different ports for shared memory but I still get the same results. This one is really puzzling me :(. As I cant find anything to help me resolve.

**UPDATE**

Here is what I am thinking is the problem I have downloaded the software from passport advantage CZG6ZML this is labelled as TSM server and storage agent 64 bit. However when I install the storage agent it installed in C:\Program files (x86). This leads me to believe that it is actually 32bit software. I have tried numerous ways of installing and re-installing but alas it always installs in the x86 program files directory as default. I know I could change the install dir but that I feel would be pointless as it is still 32-bit code. I even tried installing the 6.2.1 patch from the ftp site and it has the same result.

So my next question is, is there such a thing as 64 bit 6.2 storage agent code for windows?

Last edited:
Hi,

Newest version of Storage Agent is 6.2.2.30, recommendation is that TSM server and Storage Agent are in same level.
Could be downloaded:
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/...t/patches/storage-agent/6.2.2.30/NT/6.2.2.30/

Yes, you have correct version, it's mainly 32 bit that's why it will install itself to Program Files (x86).

Have you tried to run storage agent and backup client with same Windows account?

Thanks Again yuki

Unfortunately I cannot apply the latest patch at the moment. But I have tried the versions from the ftp site.
I have also tried the client and storage agent with the same account, but the problem is even before the client comes into the equation as the shared memory port does not initialize for the storage agent.

So is there definitely not 64-bit version of the storage agent for windows with 6.2.x? I have been searching for this on the ibm site but I can't find it.

Hi,

Shouldn't shared memory in DSMSTA.OPT be option SHMPort 1510?
Are there any errors in storage agents logs?

Hi again yuki

I have tried 1510 and the same result, but I believe you should be able to specify any port. I have upgraded the storage agent to 6.2.2.30 and still the same. The next step would be to upgrade my TSM server and storage agent to 6.2.3.0 but that will be a while, and I have my reservations that this will resolve the issue.

There are no logs in my storage agent directory.

Yuki probably meant using "SHMPort" instead of "sharedmemport" in the config file

Yes indeed my mistake I read yukis previous post wrong, SHMPort does not do the trick either. I still get the same error.

Thanks Tariq. That shows nothing running on port 1510. I am really pulling my hair out with this one!!!

Try adding in dsm.opt file:

COMMMethod Sharedmem
SHMPort 1510

Also, check if all your stuffs running from the same windows account.

Hi,

Sorry my last a bit missing words comment... :)

Ok, that doesn't work, so i look a bit more your configuration files.

devconfig.txt

Line SET STAHLADDRESS should be storage agents IP

And verify that dsm.opt lanfreetcpserveraddress MYSTA and devconfig.txt SET STANAME MTSTA are equal.

Still no joy after checking all that.

I do not think the problem is between the storage agent and the client. It is between the storage agent and the OS as the shared memory does not initialize when starting the storage agent. Is there something I am missing on the OS side?

ANR8277E Shared memory unable to initialize

Problem Solved!!!

Not to pretty however, rebuild your storage agent from scratch, even the OS.

Back