problem on defining VTL device on TSM /dev/lb0

kaelo

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm redefining my VTL drives on my TSM but when I tried to do the command below to define the path I got an I/O error. It seems that it can't see any /dev/lb0 on my AIX.

Does any has encounter this before? Does the lb0 should be visible on "lsdev -Cc tape" command just like the "smc0" for IBM tape libraries?

Appreciate any advise.

Code:
DEFINE PATH TSMPRD I500_VTL SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=LIBRARY DEVICE=/dev/lb0 ONLINE=YES

ANR8418E DEFINE PATH: An I/O error occurred while
                          accessing library I500_VTL. (SESSION: 130)

- Thanks Kael

My 2 Cents.

You do not say what type of VTL you are running but from the name VTL_i500 i guess that you are running either a Falconstor VTL or a Quantum
If it is falconstor you have to disable DPF (data path failover) and possibly CPF (Control Path Failover) in the ibmtape device driver.

Last edited:
Use TSM device Driver

You need to use the the TSM Device Driver if you are not emulating an IBM library to find the library/changer device type. If you are emulating IBM type drives, you can see them with just using ATAPE. If that is the case cfgmgr will find them... an lsdev -Cc tape will only show your tape drives and then an lsdev -Cc library will show your library/changer.

root:server:/> lsdev -Cc tape
rmt0 Available 0E-08-02 LTO Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt1 Available 0E-08-02 LTO Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt2 Available 0E-08-02 LTO Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt3 Available 0E-08-02 LTO Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt4 Available 0F-08-02 LTO Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt5 Available 0F-08-02 LTO Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt6 Available 0F-08-02 LTO Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
rmt7 Available 0F-08-02 LTO Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP)
root:server:/> lsdev -Cc library
lb0 Available 0E-08-02 Library/MediumChanger
lb1 Available 0E-08-02 Library/MediumChanger
lb2 Available 0F-08-02 Library/MediumChanger

Back