Possible to use DRM with only one drive ?

yilas

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello,

Here is my configuration:

1. I have on several servers, a library "Total storage 3581 Tape Autoloader" with only one drive,

2. Certain servers (without "3581 Tape autoloader" library) have only one drive (which manages DLT tape)

Now, my question is: is it possible to use DRM with only one drive ?

I was wondering whether it is possible to do that because of the following situation:

Imagine I have a primary storage pool configured like this :

DISKPOOL --> LTOPOOL

OFFSITE (is the backup of the DISKPOOL)

Now, if I have the storage pool which has a size equal to 10 GB and I have to backup 15 GB of data, the migration should start and then migrate all (or a part of) data to LTOPOOL. Now, the backup of these data is impossible (I have only one drive !).

Cordially,

Yann

Yann , I would say if DR is important for your data then few thousands dollars should not be a big deal for getting approval for another drive.

I think your only option might be to move data from tapepool back to diskpool , if you have big enough disk pool and then maybe try backup diskpool to offsitepool. Never tried this and not sure how easy it would be.

Maat.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Yann , I would say if DR is important for your data then few thousands dollars should not be a big deal for getting approval for another drive.

I think your only option might be to move data from tapepool back to diskpool , if you have big enough disk pool and then maybe try backup diskpool to offsitepool. Never tried this and not sure how easy it would be.

Maat.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, so if I understand I can't use DRM with only one drive ?

It is a big problem when you have only one drive inside a server, isn't it ?

Thanks,

Yann

It is possible, but *very* difficult.

If you're starting with a new TSM server, make sure that all the data you backup per night can fit within your diskpool. Make a backup of that diskpool (DR copy). Then backup your database. Send the copy+DB backup offsite via DRM and then migrate all the data from the diskpool to the tapepool.

If for some reason, some data gets migrated to the tapepool without being copied first to the copypool, then you must migrate that data back to the diskpool, make a copy and migrate it to the tapepool again.

Easiest solution would be to but a second drive. (not always possible, I know)

-Aaron

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>It is possible, but *very* difficult.

If you're starting with a new TSM server, make sure that all the data you backup per night can fit within your diskpool. Make a backup of that diskpool (DR copy). Then backup your database. Send the copy+DB backup offsite via DRM and then migrate all the data from the diskpool to the tapepool.

If for some reason, some data gets migrated to the tapepool without being copied first to the copypool, then you must migrate that data back to the diskpool, make a copy and migrate it to the tapepool again.

Easiest solution would be to but a second drive. (not always possible, I know)

-Aaron</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks Aaron. With several tests, I have the same conclusion than you...

See you later for another questions ! ;)

Cordially,

Yann

Back