Point in time restore bringing back directories and files that have been deleted

sean.m.stack

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

We are Oracle Applications R11i and are using TSM version 5.1.5

A base install of an Oracle R11i Environment contains in the region of 350,000 files.

We are using "selective" backups on our Production Environment on a nightly basis.

I have run into the following problem yesterday:

- Purposely deleted a directory structure within a filesystem (/u09/oracle/DBA/dbadb/8.1.7)

- Ran a selective backup of the filesystem in the morning (/u09/oracle/DBA)

- The backup log files showed me that the directory I had deleted had not been backed up

- I did a point in time restore after the backup had successfully completed (wanted to ensure that the directory strcuture I had blown away would not be restored to the point in time after I had blown it away). Syntax used was "dsmc restore /u09/oracle/DBA/ -subdir=yes -pitdate=28/05/2003 -pittime=16:00:00 >> logfile"

- Unfortunately it has restore the directory structure I had earlier blown away - this seems crazy to me - it's as if TSM does not recognise the fact that I had previously blown away this directory structure for a reason.

Has anyone seen this issue and if so is there a resolution/paramter that I need to set?

Thanks,

Sean.

well not helpful answer but TSM makes BIG difference between FILESYSTEMS and DIRECTORY STRUCTURE.

maybe there is your problem ... :confused:

Hi there,

did the backup log files show that the deleted directory structures have been expired?

I don't know for sure whether an inspection of files will take place during a selective backup. Maybe that's your problem. If so consider making a "normal" full incremental on a regular basis. To not backing up deleted files doesn't necessarily mean that those files get expired from server storage.

Regards,

Fritz

yeah, this is it !

i read your post once again and in my first reply i said something about making difference between filesystems and directory structure ...

... so i suppose your filesystem is mounted over /u09 ?

you probably have done an earlier backup of this filesystem with -su=yes and you have to do it because TSM will not go into a directory unless it is not specified in dsm.* file or this directory is filesystem mount point.

what do i want to say :grin: ... TSM has restored a directory structure based on earlier backup (either selective or inc) because they where not expired on server ... damn. i confused myself also ... don't worry :rolleyes: :p

... and yes , there is an interesting option called -DIRSONLY you may read something about it ... good luck, you gonna need it ...

Back