PLEASE HELP!!!!! Restore the TSM problem!!!

raychu65

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a problem for restore the TSM.

I am trying to migrate an existing TSM server from one Windows machine to another. So I copy down all of the necessary files:

- dsmserv.dsk
- dsmserv.opt
- volume history file
- device configuration file
- LOG1.DSM
- DB1.DSM

Then, I run the full database backup and copy down the database volume files.

After that, I rebuild the TSM server and client. And reload everything into TSM server related location. then I reboot the server. After reboot, the TSM service is automatically stopped. I try to reboot it again, I got the same result. Therefore, I want to know why is that?

Is that I have to copy the necessary files in the offline mode for the existing
TSM server?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

get database backup and restore it on new server.

see admin guide for "dsmserv restore db" command
get dsmserv.opt, volhist and devconfig file to new location and make restore

Start the TSM server in the foreground i.e by running 'dsmserv' from a dos window and from the server directory. This will show you the errors that are causing the server to not start. Its not a very good idea to copy db/log vol amd expect that the server will come up. There are many other files that are needed and also registery enteries.

The best option if the configure the server on the new box as a new TSM server and then restore the database backup taken from original server

SHORTCUT: You might need to re-create your token in the dsmserv.dsk file by performing from your server directory a :
dsmserv format x <logvol.,log....> y <dbvol.,dbv....>
x = number of logvols used and give all the full paths comma seperated and y == number of dbvols also full path comma seperated.

But like alimirza states, better to perform TSM install and then restore 'old' TSM DB

Back