Please explain difference TSM select * from backups and Rman list backuppiece

haaa01

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
tsm: TSM_SERV>

tsm: TSM_SERV>select * from backups where node_name='ORADB01' and ll_name='ORADB01_b_mrgq5pjc_23259_1'

ANR2963W This SQL query may produce a very large result table, or may require a significant amount of time to compute.

Do you wish to proceed? (Yes (Y)/No (N)) y

ANR2034E SELECT: No match found using this criteria.

ANS8001I Return code 11.

Return code 11 in other words object with ll_name not found in TSM

tsm: TSM_SERV>select * from backups where node_name='ORADB01'

ANR2963W This SQL query may produce a very large result table, or may require a significant amount of time to compute.

Do you wish to proceed? (Yes (Y)/No (N)) y

NODE_NAME: ORADB01

FILESPACE_NAME: /adsmorc

FILESPACE_ID: 1

STATE: ACTIVE_VERSION

TYPE: FILE

HL_NAME: //

LL_NAME: ORADB01_b_00gsqcsd_25600_1

OBJECT_ID: 201461790

BACKUP_DATE: 2005-08-23 14:43:27.000000

DEACTIVATE_DATE:

OWNER: oraoper

CLASS_NAME: DEFAULT

NODE_NAME: ORADB01

FILESPACE_NAME: /adsmorc

FILESPACE_ID: 1

STATE: ACTIVE_VERSION

TYPE: FILE

HL_NAME: //

LL_NAME: ORADB01_b_00gtuf57_26624_1

OBJECT_ID: 204425613

BACKUP_DATE: 2005-09-06 07:03:04.000000

DEACTIVATE_DATE:

OWNER: oraoper

CLASS_NAME: DEFAULT

Now a search with RMAN

rn03c7:eek:racle [/usr/local/tdp/oracle/ORADB01]

=>rman

Recovery Manager: Release 9.2.0.6.0 - 64bit Production

Copyright (c) 1995, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

RMAN> connect catalog rman/ora_temp@rn03b9_COMERCV

connected to recovery catalog database

RMAN> connect target

connected to target database: ORADB01 (DBID=1157770758)

RMAN> list backuppiece 'ORADB01_b_mrgq5pjc_23259_1'

2> ;

List of Backup Pieces

BP Key BS Key Pc# Cp# Status Device Type Piece Name

------- ------- --- --- ----------- ----------- ----------

10477255 10477252 1 1 AVAILABLE SBT_TAPE ORADB01_b_mrgq5pjc_23259_1

So who can explain to me, what is correct: TSM_SERV or RMAN? What can cause the deletion of that object in TSM?

Oracle quys told me that they didn’t do a delete backuppiece.

Hello,

The TSM_SERV and RMAN are both correct...and you have a problem with coherence between TSM DB and Recovery Catalog

There is 3 case:

1) "normal" case, backuppieces are present in TSM DB as backup files for your node and present in RMAN Catalog.

2) backup files are present in TSM DB but not present in RMAN catalog.

Possible causes are: delete backup piece with RMAN when TSM Server is down or unreacheable (network down..).

TSM Files backup send by TDP are always "active" so, if you want du delete them from TSM DB you must use "tdposync" cmd to "delete" theses files (synchronise TSM DB for this node with the RMAN state for this node).

3) backup files are present in RMAN catalog but not present in TSM DB. (your case)

Possible cause are: "delete filespace" for this node or "delete vol discard=yes" for example. The pb cause cannot be a "delete backuppiece" because RMAN catalog know this file.

To synchronise RMAN catalog with "TSM DB state" for this node, you can use theses RMAN syntax:

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Code:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><PRE> allocate channel for maintenance 'SBT_TAPE';

crosscheck backup;

release channel; </PRE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

This syntax mark for deletetion in the RMAN catalog backuppiece that are not available in TSM DB. To realy "delete" these backuppieces you must use this RMAN syntax:

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Code:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><PRE>delete expired backup; </PRE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Note: Case #2 and #3 are useful tu restore coherence between TSM DB and RMAN catalog, they cannot be used to create missing TSM DB entries or missing RMAN catalog entries

@+, smoulin

*** Sorry for my poor english language ****

Hi,
I am facing the 3rd case. RMAN showing the backup piece but TSM showing no backup.
I have also checked the "delete filespace" for this node or "delete vol discard=yes" nothing has been done.
So, how the rman backup is getting deleted prior to its retention policy.

Another issue with rman to be aware of is when DBAs refresh databases and the recovery catalogue is overwritten.
Check if this has occurred.

Thanks for your reply..I will ask the DBA's to check this out.
Just to add in to my knowledge, what are the steps required to check if refresh databases and the recovery catalogue is overwritten at the RMAN side.

I dont know, you need to ask a DBA.

Back