please enter a valid node name

noobie2tsm

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm new to TSM and have stumbled into what I think is a problem.
The version is 5.5
I have the Backup/Archive GUI client and scheduler service installed on a server, and the gui client on my desktop.
From the server I can open the GUI and it logs in fine and backup sets, etc... can be viewed.

If I'm correct, I should be able to open the GUI on my desktop, click File, Logon, enter the node name of the server, my admin access user account and password and view the existing backup data for the server's node? (correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure I did this a few weeks ago)

however, now, when I try to login as another node from my desktop GUI, I get the error "Please enter a valid node name".

I am 100% sure the correct node name, username, and password are being used. I get the same error when I try to login manually as my desktop node from the Backup GUI client. The autologin when the client starts, logs in fine and uses the same credentials as I attempt to use manually

Has anyone had this problem before?

figured it out

everything else was working as normal with the client, but that was what was broken. Using a client on a different system let me right in. Something was kludged on my client config.

You have to add the nodename u are trying to use in the access list for the node you arre trying to restore.

TSM client

I had done that as well. It turned out to be a problem with my client installation on my desktop.

So what was the resolution? I have several clients that are doing the same thing, but others at the same version of code that don't. I've tried clean reinstalls with new dsm.opt, etc, but still having the issue.

invalid node name

I reinstalled it on a clean machine. I think the installer is leaving reg keys somewhere that keep the problem even after the client is "removed".

Ok, thanks for the quick response. I've got a call into IBM on this, so we'll see what they say. I've got a large number of deployed clients, so I have to figure out how to get them upgraded without this issue. If I get any additional info, I'll post it here.

valid node name

Fortunately, the system that had the problem in my case, was a management system, not a server that was being backed up by the client. I haven't had it occur on a server (yet)

This might help: without reinstalling the TSM client, clear the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM\CurrentVersion\Nodes key to clean up left over client node passwords, server connections, etc.

Now connect again and submit your password. The regkeys are created and the connection might be working now.

Deleting this regkey is the equivalent of removing tsm.pwd on Unix-like systems.

Back