Planning management classes

mosiac

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at our domains, policy sets, and management classes.

We currently have 3 required retention periods
1.) 1 year
2.) 10 year
3.) Infinity (I hate this)

If I'm understanding everything about 7.1.3 and beyond correctly I should be able to take a management class and say
backup data for x copies and retain that for say 40 days and set something similiar for deleted copies. Then I want to archive that data into a monthly archive automatically that expires in one year.

Then I'll need to setup two more management classes for my other two retention periods correct?

Also once I archive data I assume at some point it gets expired from disk but does archive data exist on the copy pool or will it be removed from there as well?

Should I be extending my retention periods if I have the disk space for it? Currently the previous TSM admin set it to 8 copies of active files for 360 days and 8 copies of deleted files for 720 days. If I was keeping data that long I assume I could kick off a yearly archive and call it a day but I would like to free up more of my disk space so I can backup more of our environment.

Something else I'm having trouble finding in archive schedules and how to dump them to tape and auto check them out of my library. Is this something I'll need to build a schedule for that runs a specific command even though I've specified I want an archive in the management class?

Thanks,

Then I'll need to setup two more management classes for my other two retention periods correct?
Correct
Also once I archive data I assume at some point it gets expired from disk but does archive data exist on the copy pool or will it be removed from there as well?
Data doesn't expire by location, but by object. So if an object expires, it's gone from all the storage pools it's stored in.

Correct

Data doesn't expire by location, but by object. So if an object expires, it's gone from all the storage pools it's stored in.

So other than saving some space on my disks by archiving to either tape or cloud storage I'm still going to be eating up tapes for copy pool.

My boss really wants to be done with tape and I think he's willing to pay for cloud storage but I'm stuck on this copy pool issue as well.

Thanks for all the info though.

Here is what I have:
MGMTCLASS A is keep 8 copies 365 days and 8 deleted copies 720 days with no archive.
Backupset jobs run to get 'point in time backups' that are basically destroying tivoli because all clients have to use the same tape library as tivoli does causing loads of contention.

Overall here is my plan
MGMTCLASS A is keep 7 copies of active files for 30 days and 7 deleted copies for 35 days(expecting a little overlap in archives), and then archive that every month and set the archive expiration to 1 year
MGMTCLASS B is the same except the archive expiration would be 10 years
MGMTCLASS C is the same except the archive expiration would be 'No limit'

Does that seem like a good plan of action? I'm also thinking of staggering it as a few days of TSM for VE backups, and then getting the client installed on each node and building new nodes just for directories that actually need this 1 yr, 10yr, and forever backups, right now its everything everywhere.

Back