PHP on AIX for the Purpose of Reporting TSM data.

JGens

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello,

I THOUGHT I might be able to do some nifty stuff with PHP on our TSM server and

provide management some insightful information regarding our storage environment

- that was before I began the PHP mod install to our apache server.

HELP?!

I realize that the database used by TSM accepts SQL type commands but it is not clear

to me exactly what type of database it is, what type of database support I should

configure the PHP mod for via its' setup script and where the TSM database actually lives.

Has anyone even used PHP successfully to gather and display information from the

TSM server?

It would be rather nice to perform all of the desired functions without having to have

scripts all over the server...

The latest versions of TSM Server have a really nice reporting tool that can be added on ( for an additional charge I think). Besides, the DB used by TSM is non-standard and your unlikely to find the proper support for it through PHP.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....

The TSM Server DB is quite proprietary and most 3rd party reporting tools either use ODBC to import the DB data to another DB type like SQL or they dump it to a comma delimited text file. The new Operational Reporting tool being tested for TSM converts the data to XML and then formats it into HTML for viewing. Even TSM's older reporting tool - Decision Support, used ODBC.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> The latest versions of TSM Server have a really nice reporting tool that can be added on ( for an additional charge I think) </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

We're using servergraph now but the types of data is not what management wants

to see, what is the name of the ibm product?is it like servergraph?more/less customizable?

thank you

I had the same problem, and the only solutions i found is to replicate some informations from the TSM DB to a custom Mysql DB.

After this i wrote a front-end in php to do query and show some results.

Check my scripts at:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mytsmreport/

Perhaps you can use some for your management (mine was happy with some pie chart and graphs :)

Bye.

Riccardo

Back