Perform Libaction

rallingham

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
http
Has any used the Perform Libaction command from the TSM Server for a VTL? I see it documented and I do not have a TEST VTL to work with and other than using the PREVIEW portion of the command I do not want to use it in a production setting until I know what it does and how I can use it effectively?

I tried the command on a TSM Server V6.3.3.200 but it does not seem to be a valid command, I thought I would show up even if I didn't have a VTL (protectier).

Let me know.

This command is an all-in-one command to define or delete a library's tape drives. Quite a feat from the old individual commands that is used to define the tape drives.

This is not strictly for VTL only.

see 'help perform libaction'

Works well if you define and path the library correctly first, and that all tape drives have the standard IBM path.

Last edited:
I actually tried this on my V6.3.3.200 server but it said there was no such command. I am not sure why. Is there a specific version that is required? My test serve has a full tape library and I did delete it and tried to use the Perform Libaction, but nothing happened.

I actually tried this on my V6.3.3.200 server but it said there was no such command. I am not sure why. Is there a specific version that is required? My test serve has a full tape library and I did delete it and tried to use the Perform Libaction, but nothing happened.

I have 6.3.3.0 and it works.

I presume you have loaded the necessary IBM drivers, correct?

What happens if you just issue 'perform libaction' - any error messages (well, aside from the one you posted!)

When I enter the command without the required parameters, I get:

tsm: TSM2P>perform libaction
Session established with server TSM2P: Linux/x86_64
Server Version 6, Release 3, Level 3.0
Server date/time: 06/17/2013 08:53:42 Last access: 06/17/2013 08:30:20

ANR2022E PERFORM LIBACTION: One or more parameters are missing.
ANS8001I Return code 3.

Last edited:
I found the problem. The DSCENU.TXT file was bad but scrolled off the screen so i did not see it until I went into the error log.
I replaced the file and now I get the actual help information.
This is a big step forward from having to write a macro when you have a lot of drives. My customer has 8 LTO4 drives, and 63 VTL drives and wants to allocate 3 addition 4 drive VTLs to lanfree clients. Now this latter part is not working but I think they are defining it incorrectly. I will have to pop out there and see. thanks for the response.

Perform Libaction relies on SAN Discovery working do find the drive paths and the tape library reporting the drive serial numbers as part of the read element status command. It then matches up the device serial numbers to automagicly define the drives and paths a library can see. Many but not all tape libraries support reporting of the drive serial number.

Back