Path Offline

darrenwallace

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Hopefully someone may be able to help, I'm running TSM 5.3 under AIX.
Last Friday for some reason the backups started taking an age, I've now found the path to one of the drives is offline as below:
Source Name Source Type Destination Destination On-Line
Name Type
----------- ----------- ----------- ----------- -------
TSM SERVER 3583-LIB LIBRARY Yes
TSM SERVER TAPE0 DRIVE No
TSM SERVER TAPE1 DRIVE Yes

I've checked from the os and the drives are ok, checked all the fibre cables etc. but not sure I am trying to run the correct syntax of the update command to try and bring the drive back on line

tsm: TSM>upd path TSM TAPE0 srct=SERVER destt=dr libr=3853-LIB devi=/dev/rmt0 onl=y
ANR1727E A path from TSM to 3853-LIB TAPE0 does not exist.
ANS8001I Return code 11.

Can anyone shed any light on the problem?

Thanks a lot

Darren

That error indicates either a issue with communication to drive or syntax error in your command. Looks like command is good for info provided.

I would actually delete path then delete drive. Then redefine drive and redefine path.

Also when you say that OS still sees them, does /dev/rmt0 still exist?

If the update don't work, anything useful in the activity log maybe upon sending that command?

To update the path:
UPDATE PATH TSM TAPE0 srct=server destt=drive libr=3583-LIB onl=yes

Update the drive:
update drive 3583-LIB TAPE0 online=y

Nothing in the errpt of AIX about that drive?

Try the same command but only with the option ONLINE=YES (don't update the device name)
Bart D.

Hi,
Thanks very much for your replies, I've just run the command without the device /rmt0 listed at the end and its worked fine, the path is saying online.

Thanks for all our your help, you've saved me a sleepless night of backups failing again!!

Darren

Back