ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
-Sunfire v490
-CPU's - (4) dual core 1.5GHz
-OS is Solaris 10 running Oracle 10g
-16GB memory
-A single 2Gb Emmulex FC HBA dedicated to LTO-3 tape drives thru a 2Gb switch (two others dedicated to disk)
-TSM BA client 5.4.1.5
-TSM Oracle TDP 5.4.1.5
-TSM Storage Agent 5.4.5.0

Because RMAN opens and closed sessions during a single Oracle db backup, I can't use session information to get any bytes per second type of information from TSM for Oracle backups.

But, though I'm not any Oracle guru, I would think there is some RMAN information that could be obtained via RMAN script or something. Does anyone know how or have any script they use to gather some Oracle backup statistics?

Getting some ballpark numbers manually from amount of data backed up during a day, for a particular Oracle node, and the time it took to back it up, I can manually get some "decent" statistics, but nothing exact and nothing that isn't a very manual process.

Our backup speed is about 43MB/sec and I'm getting told it should be better than this, AS EXISTS. Not, "with new hardware."

I'm looking for a way to gather some RMAN stats, as well as some advice on RMAN performance. I know this is not an Oracle forum, but maybe someone has some expertise that will be helpful?

This select should work for any node and assuming RMAN backups have their own nodename it should isolate just the Oracle data.

select entity,bytes/1024/1024 as MBYTES,(end_time-start_time) seconds as Elapsed from summary where entity='NODENAME' and start_time>=current_timestamp - 24 hours order by mbytes desc

A more generalized version for all nodes is

select entity,bytes/1024/1024 as MBYTES,(end_time-start_time) seconds as Elapsed from summary where entity in (select node_name from nodes) and start_time>=current_timestamp - 24 hours order by mbytes desc

You can replace the start_time where clause with something more specific to your needs. Since this produces MB and Seconds in columns 2 and 3 you should be able to come up with an average throughput.

Back