Oracle Archives

djchopps0013

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Ok so our business has made the decision that we need to archive our oracle DB's, my question is how are other shops accomplishing this? Using separate pool with long terms retentions?

Are you referring to archiving RMAN created backups or db dumps?

If the latter is true, then you use the archive functionality to do so.

If the former is true, you can setup long retention policies for the RMAN log and db backups.

Last edited:
It would be for RMAN created backups. So we cant just enable long retention on our current pool that would cause onsite and offsite copies of data to explode and we are at capacity on our tape library. My thoughts were to use current pool with current retention and create a second pool with like a 7 year retention to satisfy archives and have backups right to this pool once a month. Any thoughts?

It would be for RMAN created backups. So we cant just enable long retention on our current pool that would cause onsite and offsite copies of data to explode and we are at capacity on our tape library. My thoughts were to use current pool with current retention and create a second pool with like a 7 year retention to satisfy archives and have backups right to this pool once a month. Any thoughts?

This is doable but personally, I would rather do a db dump backup and save this on archive than having long term RMAN backups.

By using db dump technique, you will only need the db dump file to recover. Using the RMAN method, you will need the RMAN catalog to recover the RMAN backups. Thus, you need to save the RMAN catalog (which is another DB) long term. Not very practical.

ok I already see the benefit, so basically you need space available to dump to then have TSM come in and run a archive of the dump file right? Do you have this process automated?

ok I already see the benefit, so basically you need space available to dump to then have TSM come in and run a archive of the dump file right? Do you have this process automated?

The DBAs can handle the db dump, and you take over the archiving of the db dumps.

The archive is done through the usual TSM schedules with the appropriate archive pools defined.

Last edited:
cools thanks, some things to think about. Although this will just spur them to request more SAN space from our team. Thanks for the input moon!

What about large DB's? Say 500GB to 1.5TB

SAN Flashcopy/mirroring, and later a dump backup to tape might be the faster way to do this. If you don't replicate before dumping, your database server will be off the grid for sometime while you are dumping the db.

Depending on your setup (# tape drives and the such), a dump of large files to tape is not that time consuming. I have a couple of Oracle Dbs that are 3-5tb each and fulls are dumped to tape directly. If your TSM primary storagepool are big enough, you can dump to it first and then let TSM migrate it to tape...There is also LANFREE backups that could be looked into...

SAN Flashcopy/mirroring, and later a dump backup to tape might be the faster way to do this. If you don't replicate before dumping, your database server will be off the grid for sometime while you are dumping the db.

Ahh therein lies the problem. So now have introduced more complexity, more disk, more licenses and more resources all equaling more MONEY. Some scenarios though I have not thought of.

Depending on your setup (# tape drives and the such), a dump of large files to tape is not that time consuming. I have a couple of Oracle Dbs that are 3-5tb each and fulls are dumped to tape directly. If your TSM primary storagepool are big enough, you can dump to it first and then let TSM migrate it to tape...There is also LANFREE backups that could be looked into...

So we dont have a issues with backup or these Oracle DB, its just coming up with a solid archiving solution.

Back