Optimum switch zoning config for SAN backups

nicbone

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi
Just wondering the optimum zoning config at the switch for backups to fibre attached tape.
Want to make sure that traffic stays within the fabric whereever possible.
I was told not to have the SAN ports (Clariion SP ports) in the same zone as the drives, but cant see how traffic stays within the switch this way.
Interested in any comments.:)

Convention is that you are to have a set of HBAs for disk activity like Clariion or DMX and another set of HBAs for backup devices like tape drives or VTLs. This is because the different kind of data going to each type of device.

If you have both kinds, zone one set of HBAs to the disk devices and zone another to tape devices. This will keep them seperate and "optimized".

-Aaron

Hi - thanks for the response. That is indeed what we do - i.e. best practice not to mix tape & disk traffic on the same HBA.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing any tricks on the zoning side as have new libraries coming & the chance to reconfigure the environment.

and ideally, you want to have your database access on a separate channel: you don't want to mix heavy sequential access with oltp.

For tapes, make sure that sum(max throughput of tape drive) < channel speed!

Back