Open File Support - PST

Rick111

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
vpnova.com
I have configured the TSM client for open file support and online file support, but when it comes to backing up open PST files I receive an "the file is being used by another process" error.

Surley with the open file support it should still backup the PST?

Cheers in advance.

Hi Rickk111

I have the same problem.

What do you have configured for this open files?

Regards

Gerald

Right now TSM does not support OFS (Open File Support) On Windows 2003. Period. I have run into all kinds of issues with it. "supposedly" IBM will support it in hte next client release but that does not help any of us now. Much of the issues has to do with MS issues with there volume shadow service, but either way your gonna run into issues if you need to do OFS on Windows 2003.

:cry:

itdrew

Thanks for the information. I'm disappointed that the client software does not alert you to the fact, or that it is clearly stated in the client documentation.

In fact in the beginning of last year IBM said OFS for Windows Server 2003 will be included in version 5.3 !

That was a great reason for choosing TSM at this time.

Because most of our server were Windows 2000 and we can wait until 5.3 client before upgrading the most important server.

But now it's different.

Our most important servers ARE in Windows Server 2003 and we still don't have OFS for this OS.

So, what's now ?

On top of that, some of these servers make, randomly, some night, a blue screen in the beginning of the backup job (system state) even if this backup run correctly after the reboot !!!

mvm:

do you deinstall your old version first?

An upgrade to 5.3 does NOT automatically upgrade OFS!

You MUST deinstall your old version and then install the new WITH OFS.

I don't install OFS on Windows Server 2003 as long as it's not supported.

There is no mean to use it without being sure that the backup are well done.

All these server 2003 are installed from scratch so they are installed directly with agent 5.3....

So the BIG question still be "when will be OFS supported on Windows Server 2003 ?".

I got to know that a major client release will be arrive by the end of october

I hope you are right and that this "major" term means OFS support for W2K3.

I hope also that these new client version are still compatible with TSM server 5.2....

I'm not planning to upgrade the TSM server before next year.

mvm, we're in the same boat. We plan on upgrading our TSM server from 5.2.3.2 to version 5.3.X but not until February/March.

Bingo !

OFS for Windows 2003 is supported by TSM client 5.3.2.

And....

Tsm 5.3.2 client is compatible with TSM 5.2.2 server.

Back