One-time Oracle Backup - Very ShortTerm Hold

GregE

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The DBA wants to be able to take a one-time Oracle DB backup, of an existing database, separate from our normal backup routine for that DB.

On the RMAN side, he can do this with command "backup full database" which will create a backup that is separate from the normal incremental/log series.

The challenge is a way to store this in TSM differently than the regular backup of the same DB.

I know that I could create a separate storage pool and management class, change the client side config to use the mgmtclass and different filespace name, etc, and he could turn off log archive backups for the timeframe it would take to run this one-time backup. This would ensure that this one backup is on separate tapes, treated differently. Then we'll delete it after a few days. Sounds like a bit much.

Anyone have any other ideas?

The problem I see is that RMAN expects everything to be in the same place.

Can you clone the DB and then back that up separately?

Alternatively, can he back it up to disk, and then backup the files through TSM? Snapshots?

They can't do a backup to disk (file dump I assume you're referring to). We use Oracle ASM and some time ago they told me because of that they can no longer do that simple method of dumping to files.

I'll talk with them about a clone.

Back