Offsite reclamation

tapedude

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I have numerous offsite volumes in the FILLING state in my offsite vault. Is there a way for TSM to reclaim these tapes? It appears to me that TSM only reclaims tapes in the FULL state.

How are the tapes being moved to offsite? Are you using drm? (move drmedia)

You can 'manually' reclaim any tape by using the move data command (move data <vol>) and it will "reclaim" the data to a new tape and mark the old one ready to come back.

-Aaron

Yes I am using move drm to send tapes to offsite, however not all tapes are in the full state when the move is run. You can not do a move data using the offsite storage pool without the tapes being in the library, which I can not do, geographiclly impossible. Reclamation will use the primary storage to reclaim offsite tapes but move data will not. Any other thoughts?

Since you use 'move drmedia' TSM should know that the tapes aren't full but they can't be written to anymore and so will start the expiration process on the data on the tapes.

Are your tapes below the reclamation threshold? (select volume_name, pct_reclaim, stgpool_name from volumes where pct_reclaim => (reclaim_threshold) order by 3,2 asc)

Also, I thought that when you run a 'move data' on a copy tape, it would use the primary copy and create a new copypool tape just like a reclamation process does but I could be wrong (it's happened alot lately)

-Aaron

Back