Off-site Tape Rotation

pstephen

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
We woudl lile to have a traditional tape rotation where we take Copypool tapes off-site every day, then have full backups go off-site each week end, each month end and each year end.

TSM Incremental all the time paradigm does not fit well with this off-site tape rotation policy. My idea is to run my incrementals every night and do a backup stgpool daily. Then on the weekend I will run an Archive with a different Management Class that will have a longer retention .

Can I direct these archives to a separate sequential tape copypool?

Has anyone found another way to accomplish this type of tape rotation?

Thanks for any help or guidance you can provide.

Hey

We have the exact same setup.

* Two mgmt classes with different retention and different storage pools.

* Two client schedules (inc / archive) the archive having the -archmg=mgmtclass option to direct it to a different mgmtclass then the incremental.

* Daily backups of the incremental storage pool.

You might want to think about backupsets instead of archive.

Thanks for the response. I am interested in finding out more about using backupsets. Backupsets look like a good way to create "instant archives" that can be retained for longer periods than the incrementals.

However, I also have several SQL server backup clients. It appears that backupsets can only be created from incremental backups. As usual the TSM documentation is less than clear on this subject. The documentation says that backupsets are created from incrementals, and that multiple filespaces can be included in the backupset. Of course the SQL server backups show up as thier own filespaces. Does anyone know if my SQL server TDP backups can be included in a backupset?

Thanks ...

Back