Null device class

psorrentau

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall that in the distant past there was a procedure for defining a null device class in TSM to assist with performance testing of backups without actually storing any backup data (e.g. measuring the upper bounds of how quickly data arrives at the TSM server).

Can anyone supply the TSM define command please?

Paul Sorrentino

On any UNIX system you can use the "/dev/null" device. When defining the path, use that device and it will not store anything. You'll have to remove the TSM database entries for any data that you backup to this device because obviously you'll never be able to restore it.

-Aaron

Aaron,

This sounds quite interesting... Can you pls get us more detail on how to do this? Any suggested reading?

Thanks, RK

Aaron,

This would be fine if /dev/null can be "seen" by TSM. I believe this is not the case, at least directly.

If the argument follows, then a redirect to "nul" would hold true for DOS/Windows environments. But how is a devclass in OS/Windows redirected to nul setup? I believe there won't be a way.

As for UNIX based TSM environment and following your suggestion, the way I think that this can be defined is by using a soft link like ln -s /dev/null file_name. Then you simply have to use the file_name to define a devclass=FILE.

Does this sound reasonable?

Last edited:
Ed,

Yes, you are correct. Simply creating a softlink to /dev/null will allow TSM to use /dev/null but at the same time, I thought that TSM could use /dev/null just by defining a file devclass that pointed directly to /dev/null. I though I had done that in the past but I could be wrong. The softlink option should work and would be safer as well.

-Aaron

Back