NTFS file permission changes

ptutt

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
I expect this problem has been posted before but...

When file permissions are changed on files contained on NTFS client volumes, TSM see's this as a file change and backs all the affected files up again. This can cause large amounts of repeat data to be backed up if top level folder ACL's are modified then permitted down the tree. We are currently running TSM server 5.1.5.4 on Windows 2000 Advanced Server with Windows 2000/NT clients.

Is there any way this can be overcome?.

We experienced the same problem. To work around this, I built a schedule with the the -skipntp=yes option . And put the Windows clients in there. Hope this helps.

Hi Smartin,

Thanks for your response. This seems to be a way round the problem. With this option bypassing the backup of NTFS permissions, how would you then put back permissions if a system rebuild was required?. Do you handle this in a different way?. I guess we could run with skipntp=yes during the week then run a separate schedule to pick up the permissions over the weekend.

Hello Ptutt,

You bring up a good point and your solution seems like a good one. But make sure that you have a concensus on this issue. There might be some Admins who want or expect the NTFS permissions to be backed up. In our case, the W2K Admins felt they needed to be able to change the NTFS permissions and it was worth the risk. That said, we have a couple of clients that the NTFS permissions are included because of security reasons.

Hi Smartin,

Fortunately we administer NTFS permissions, hence can make the decisions on a server by server basis if necessary. I was just wondering whether this is a problem with the way the file system handles permission changes or whether there may be a possible fix in future TSM releases?

Thanks again.

Back