NT restore BSOD win32k.sys

makath99

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am doing some DR testing on a 4 way 2GB RAM NT4 Server Enterprise Edition SP6a machine using TSM client v5.1.6.7. I go through the the restore process (from bare metal) and everything is fine until my last reboot. At this point just before the login prompt (but after the GUI starts) the box blue screens with the following info:

**STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0xF156A88D, 0x00000000, 0x00000004)

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Address f156a88d has base at f153a000 - win32k.sys

I am restoring to the exact same machine that was backed-up (I have a mirrored disk as backup to this that I removed prior to I can recovery in the time it takes to do a reboot) so hardware issues should be eliminated. I have done this twice with the same result.

Any ideas? We are pretty much stumped here.

Thanks,

Mark

To me it sounds like a system file is not being restored, if you can check the version of the win32k.sys and the ntoskrnl.exe to make sure they are correct.

I may be totaly offbase, but that is what I would check first.

Andy

We had Microsoft look at the memory dump and they came back with the following:

276591 Error Message: Stop 0x0000001E in Win32k.sys

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=276591

This patch has to be specifically requested and cannot be downloaded. We are applying the patch and testing again. I shall let you know how it goes.

It worked! You little rippa! I shall bite my tongue the next time I think to say something bad about Microsoft support - they analysed the dump and were back with the solution within a couple of hours.

Back