Nodes and Their Management Classes

johnsot

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I am trying to find a way to find out which Management Class a node belongs to inside of TSM. We have clients that when they backup they have a MGMT class defind in their dsm.opt and dsm.sys files. We have people who backup these clients themselves. I am just trying to get a handle on which nodes go with which MGMT class. Thanks

Tracy D. Johnson
[email protected]

Start with the default management class. Chances are, most nodes belong to the default unless an Admin has given them other management class to use.

select distinct node_name,class_name from backups where node_name = 'XYZ'

will (...after a very long wait) tell you what management class is being used for backups (or select .... from archives if you're interested in archives). You'll probably want to restrict your query further to speed it up e.g.

select distinct node_name,class_name from backups where node_name = 'XYZ' and filespace_name = '/home' and hl_name = '/tsm/'

Obviously this will mostly tell you that the DEFAULT management class is being used unless someone has changed their dsm.sys/dsm.opt/include-exclude file. If you want to know down to the file level then include an ll_name in the query.

Thanks

cfhoffmann,

Is there a wild card that I can put in your first select statement that will show me every node and which management class they are assoc. with? Thanks

cfhoffmann,

Sorry about that last post. What I am looking for is a select statement or script that will give me a list of every node in my environment and right beside it tell me which MGMT class it belongs. We have alot of DB2 databases in our environment that TSM does not schedule. They run them from the client side and have MGMT class statements in their dsm.opt and dsm.sys files. I took a position with the company two week ago and I am trying to get a handle on this new environment. There is 4 Policy Domain Names and 69 MGMT classes. Thanks for all of your help in this matter.

Tracy D. Johnson

Tracy, it's not the nodes that are associated with the management class it's the directories and the files on these nodes and you definitely don't want to try listing every file in TSM and it's associated management class. Have you tried running the first select statement with XYZ replaced by the name of one of your DB2 servers ? As Moon-Buddy said you'll probably find most files are associated with the DEFAULT management class for the domain. If you happen find a non-DEFAULT class when you run the first simple select statement then you can drill down (with a more detailed query) to find the node/filespace/directory/file that is using it.

Take a look at your TSM server client option sets as well. Most DB2 environments will have a specialty cloptset assigned that will assist in management of DB2 filesystems. Also as DB2 used Native API - look at the db2 environment config file - as the DBA will mostly likely have inserted the TSM management class in this config files.

Back