Node that locks constantly.

Prismaco

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello, for my first post, I have a strangeness to submit to you for which I cannot find the solution.
For some time, when a client asks me for a password reset, as soon as he tries to connect to the server, the node is locked. Most of the time we try again and it works, but on a node, it's impossible to make backups. As soon as he tries to connect, the node locks up.
It is a node which is used for the backup of an oracle database on an AIX machine.
I really don't know where to look for a solution.
My TSM server is on AIX.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
PS: I'm not a native English speaker, so my apologies for any mistakes.

Hi,

The node is probably having a existing password that it tries firstly.

On the node in question:
Stop all running dsm* tasks
Remove node password files/keys (/etc/adsm/.....)

On the tsm servere:
upd node XXXXXX newsecretpassword sessionsec=trans
unlock node XXXXXX

On the node in question:
Start dsmc en enter new password

To look further, please provide server and client version.

Hello,

The default directory for AIX is /etc/security/adsm and for other UNIX and Linux platforms it is /etc/adsm.

Since the product name have changed to Spectrum Protect, the sub-directory name still have the same name when it was originally known as ADSM.

Regardless of where it is stored, the password file that is created by the client is always named TSM.sth.
In turn three files comprise a password file. TSM.KDB stores the encrypted passwords.
TSM.sth stores the random encryption key that is used to encrypt passwords in the TSM.KDB file.
This file is protected by the file system. TSM.IDX is an index file that is used to track the passwords in the TSM.KDB file.

If deleting and recreating all the pwd file does not work.
Use the Passworddir to relocate where the password file are to be stored.
ie: Passworddir /path/to/new/location

Be sure that the user id have read/write permission in the target directory.
Also, when there is a change in the dsm.sys file, the schedule daemon need to be stop and restarted so that the new updates will be read into memory.

Good Luck,
Sias

Last edited:
Many thanks guys,

It works now. After deleting the password file all works fine.

Regards

Back