No more scratch tape in the lib

Bruno count how many scratch volumes that stgpool is CURRENTLY using. Is it the same as the MAXSCRATCH value? If so, increase it. It doesn't matter how much free space you have if maxscratch has been hit.

yea the "Max Scratch volume alloed" and the "Number of scratch volum in use" at sorted together
when you do a stg xx f=d

here the config du storage pool

Sequential Access Storage Pools : LOCALFILE

Storage Pool Name[SIZE=-1]LOCALFILE[/SIZE]Storage Pool Type[SIZE=-1]PRIMARY[/SIZE]Device Class Name[SIZE=-1]LOCALDEVC[/SIZE]Estimated Capacity (MB)[SIZE=-1]522239.9[/SIZE]Pct Util[SIZE=-1]73.3[/SIZE]Pct Migr[SIZE=-1]100.0[/SIZE]Pct Logical[SIZE=-1]99.5[/SIZE]High Mig Pct[SIZE=-1]70[/SIZE]Low Mig Pct[SIZE=-1]50[/SIZE]Migration Processes[SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE]Next Storage Pool-Maximum Size Threshold-Access[SIZE=-1]READWRITE[/SIZE]Description[SIZE=-1]Pool de stockage de type file[/SIZE]Overflow Location-Cache Migrated Files?-Collocate?[SIZE=-1]NO[/SIZE]Reclamation Threshold[SIZE=-1]50[/SIZE]Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed[SIZE=-1]51[/SIZE]Delay Period for Volume Reuse[SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE]Migration in Progress?[SIZE=-1]NO[/SIZE]Amount Migrated (MB)[SIZE=-1]0.0[/SIZE]Elapsed Migration Time (seconds)[SIZE=-1]0[/SIZE]Reclamation in Progress?[SIZE=-1]NO[/SIZE]

Is correct for you ?
but if my reader D: is full i can't upgrade max scratch
because it I will miss place .. no

thanks

Bruno, if you're saying you're volume sizes are 10GB but you only have 4.5GB left, then you need to increase the size of your D: drive.

Alternatively, TSM 5.3 or is it TSM5.4 allows you to have multiple directory names in the device class.

hi bbb,

if I compress the Drive D: to increase the disk space available
is this possible to do that and is what TSM will appreciate

thanks very much

Will this thread of multiple different subthreads from different original posters ever die :)

Bruno, compression will slow things down a lot, unless you were really desperate I wouldn't do it. I presume you mean inline NTFS compression, not PKZIP or something that will actually change the file to a different format. If your clients already compress their backups then it won't achieve anything except make things slower.

You may need to revisit your reclamation and/or storage pool hierarchy.

Is this thread dead, I have a scratch tape problem also :(, and when I try to mount a fresh tape I get the following I/O error :-

ANR8353E 009: I/O error reading label of volume in drive
LTO1 (/dev/rmt/0). (SESSION: 561, PROCESS: 276)

My settings for Offsite Reclamation Limit: No Limit

Sorry to add on to this thread but seem unable to post a new thread. Maybe due to permissions or being a Newcomer :(

Last edited:
If it's a label problem, the tape was probably checked in instead of labeled. Check it out and re-label it.

If this is indeed the problem, then TSM won't be able to check the tape out by itself, you'll have to choose "remove=no" and "checklabel=no", and remove the tape from the library yourself.

If it's a label problem, the tape was probably checked in instead of labeled. Check it out and re-label it.

If this is indeed the problem, then TSM won't be able to check the tape out by itself, you'll have to choose "remove=no" and "checklabel=no", and remove the tape from the library yourself.
thanks for the reply umur, I think this is indeed the problem, as the Ops guys do seem to checking scratch tapes, so now i have found the reason why the tapes are not becoming available again to TSM......hmmm....and are staying in an unavailable state. So actlog reports the following error and we run out of scratch tapes:

ANR1259W Files on volume LAN026L3 needed for offsite
reclamation cannot be accessed - access mode is
"unavailable" or "offsite". (PROCESS: 420)

if the tape is in the library, you can change its access mode to readwrite, which will allow reclamation. You should also note that a tape whose access is set to "offsite" or "unavailable" will not become scratch even if it is empty.

how do I start a new thread

i'm sure it's not fair just yourself responding on this old thread, BUTTTT, theres always a but, I have a tape which I have labelled incorrectly with LABEL LIBVOLUME and data has been written to the tape, can someone tell me what command I need to run to move this data off the tape as I need to relabel it correctly. or the steps. thanks

Back