No dsmsched.log file?

vkravindran

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
I have the following problem in some Solaris (8) clients, with TSM client 5.3.1.6 installed (I have seen his with other TSM client versions as well):

I don't see any dsmsched.log file in /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin, but the scheduler is running and the backup job is working fine:

# ps -ef|grep dsmc
root 11301 1 0 Feb 01 ? 4:10 ./dsmc schedule
root 16633 16626 0 18:46:42 pts/1 0:00 grep dsmc

# cd /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin
# ls -l *log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 57 Feb 3 23:52 dsmerror.log

I try to create one, and restart the scheduler, still it doesn't write anything to the log file:

# kill -9 11301
# cd /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin
# touch dsmsched.log
# nohup dsmc sched
# ls -l dsmsched.log
-rw-r----- 1 root root 0 Feb 8 18:47 dsmsched.log

dsm.sys has no specific log/error file names so it should default to the location mentioned above.

Anyone has any clues?

Thanks in advance,
RAV

With TSM 5.3 the dsmerror.log and dsmsched.log to be created you need to make sure that the user starting the dsmc process have write permission in the directory where you are tring to write these files. So, make sure that this is true. Also look in the dsm.sys file and dsm.opt file used by this client to make sure that you don't have

SCHEDLOGNAME
ERRORLOGNAME

options mentioned in your options file and they are pointing to any other directory and filename

How are you running your scheduler?
Have you set up a little script for it? (I'd recommend that, and put it in the inittab)
In the script you would specify the location of the DSM_LOG and point it somewhere writable to get it to output.

-Chef.

mmmmmmmmm,

why not just specify it in the dsm.sys ??

In TSM version 5.3, the schedule and error log files have to be explicitly specified in the dsm.sys.

As mentioned, just put an entry on the dsm.sys file for the location of the schedule and error log files. Make sure that the folder to which these log files are going to have write access or do a chmod 766 folder_name.

Last edited:
In TSM version 5.3, the schedule and error log files have to be explicitly specified in the dsm.sys.

As mentioned, just put an entry on the dsm.sys file for the location of the schedule and error log files. Make sure that the folder to which these log files are going to have write access or do a chmod 766 folder_name.

Actualy that is not completly true. If you do not specify a location for those files to be written, then they will be written in the working directory where the schedualer, or dsmcad process was started from. This has been the default behavior of the TSM client for quite some time.

Keith Davey
Level 2 Support for TSM product group
IBM, Tucson

Good day,

I have the same problem here... backup runs but dsmched.log file is empty

Any solution ?

Regards,

Back