Newbie question: Single "Drive" reclamation ?

bipsen

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

In the course-material for "TSM Implementation" is listed an exampel of single drive reclamation. There is juts one issue regarding this I quite don't understand.

My setup consists of disk-based backup (no tape-devices, only file-devices).

I have a number of storagepool named FILPOOL_CUSTx which holds customer data. Another storagepool named FILPOOL_RECLAIM has been defined (all are sequential storage pools).

When I want to reclaim data and clean up the FILPOOL_CUSTx storage pools, how do I do ?

The problem is that I'd like to use the FILPOOL_RECLAIM for reclamation for several storage pools...

Regards,

Brian

Before I answer this, just one question. If you are using an all disk based backup (no tape). Why don't you just use all Disk based storage pool (instead of the device class type = FILE). That way you don't even need to worry about reclaimation but of course, I don't know your whole setup so likely I'm missing some details.

Anyway. set the "reclaimstgpool" setting for the FILPOOL_CUSTx to point to FILPOOL_RECLAIM.

update stg FILPOOL_CUSTx reclaimstgpool=FILPOOL_RECLAIM

Also, set the next stg pool (for migration) for FILPOOL_RECLAIM to FILPOOL_CUSTx.

(notice how this is kind of circular)

update stg FILPOOL_RECLAIM nextstgpool=FILPOOL_CUSTx high=100 low=75

(notice I set the high water mark to 100 so that one can control when the migration occurs). Now, start a reclamation

update stg FILPOOL_CUSTx relaim=60

q proc

Once reclamation stops or the FILPOOL_RECLAIM fills up, Flush the data in the FILPOOL_RECLAIM back to FILPOOL_CUSTx

update stg FILPOOL_RECLAIM hi=0 low=0

q proc

(when done after so many minutes or hours, reset the high and low migrations vaules)

update stg FILPOOL_RECLAIM hi=100 lo=75

Also, disable reclamations.

update stg FILPOOL_CUSTx reclaim=100

I'd setups some admin schedules so that you can automate these steps after you get them working/testing.

good luck and may the swartz be with you. Hey, you should email your instructor about this question...assuming that s/he gave you an email address for you to pester them with...;)

rick

Sorry forgot to answer the 2nd part of this question.

yes, you can use FILPOOL_RECLAIM to reclaim many other storage pool

Lets say now you want to run a reclamation on the storage pool FILPOOL_CUST999.

Just change the one steps below where you change the nextstgpool value

update stg FILPOOL_RECLAIM nextstgpool=FILPOOL_CUST999 hi=100 lo=75

Also, substitute FILPOOL_CUST999 anywhere you see FILPOOL_CUSTx below.

Notice how you can do this with any of your storage pool. However, you can only do one at a time!

Back