Newbie licensing advice

danatbird

Newcomer
Reaction score
We have a mixture of AIX, Linux and Windows servers. For at least a third of those the only thing we really want to back up is a few key configuration files. I'm wondering if it's even wise to purchase Tivoli client licenses for those. Would there be a better way to back those machines up?

Just copy those files to a central location, over SMB, FTP, NFS or whatever. Backup that location.

You have thought of this yourself, I hope, and only you can weigh what is cheaper, this hassle or TSM client licenses.

Thank you. Yes, it just doesn't make sense to pay that much to license software for such a small amount of data.

CDP licenses are cheap. Use a CDP client to move data in real time to a networked repository and use a single client to backup the filesystem structure you create for it on that machine maybe?

I'm very much a newbie and we're having to do this without benefit of consulting right now. What is CDP?

When we first started looking at this, we were given a cost of less than $5000 for the client licenses - but now that the way license costs are calculated, the price has almost tripled.

Continuous Data Protection. It's a very nice front end to TSM but can be used independently.

Have you ever used rsync? It's a spin off of the samba project (open source). We use it to back up files from a bunch of small linux servers to one AIX server (AIX "pulls" the backups from the client linux machines), then backup that AIX server with one TSM client. Works pretty good. You can install on AIX and linux, but I'm not sure about Windows.....I've seen a few people are using cygwin and rsync together to make it work.

It runs over ssh to the central AIX server....here's the link

http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

Works good for us, hope it can help you too.

Back