New to HSM

woolfm

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Where do I start. We have been running tSM for many years and now have decided to look at HSM as well. We will be managing 2Tb of data through HSM, and possibly plan to create the storagepool direct to tape.

Does anyone have any guidelines on how many addition 3590 carts I am likely to need to.
We plan to run the hsm migration on a daily basis+
Our current storage pool is 800g of which does not excede 50% before being migrated to next level and then we copy the tapes to be stored offsite

Does it work like backup/archive write to storage pool and then available for migration to next level and backup to copy stg group.

Also , We run server on Unix and backing up windows, is there an install on the server as well as clients

Hi,
I've done one HSM installation now but I can give You a few suggestions:
- you can migrate "HSM data" from one storage pool to another. It's better to use disk pool as a first storage pool and then migrate data to tapepool,
- use "migration needs backup" parameter set to yes - then You don't need to backup your hsmpool and don't need to reconcile files during backup operations
- starting at 5.5 version of HSM it's possible to use LAN-FREE data movement
- to use HSM You must only install HSM Client on machine that contains data and configure storage pools, mgmts on TSM server.

In my enviroment I use tapepool as the first storage pool because of the avaliable disk space. Hsm can sent one file at the time so I don't see fast data movement.

I hope it would be helpfull for You,
Best regards
Przemek

Back