New error on TSM6.3.3 ANR3619W. How to fix

pfviv

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi.

After upgrading my servers to TSM 6.3.3 I am getting this message in the act log.

ANR3619W The user limit for open files is below the recommended minimum value of 4096.

I have tried to search the forum an internet, but haven't find anything useful.
IBM say: User response - Set the user limit so that it is equal to or greater than the recommended minimum value.

My problem is where to set this parameter TSM or the Operating system

Could someone please help me with this.

TSM is running on RedHat 6.4 (Santiago)

Ivan
(Sorry for my terrible English)

Typically I use "ulimit -a" to list all the limits, then set everything to unlimited.
I think yours is ulimit -n (number of file handles)
see the /etc/security/limits.conf file for comments.

Hi.

Tanks for the replay. It did work on RedHat 6.3 but I have the same problems with two Red Hat Enterprise 5.9 (Tikanga)
I have done the same ulimit commands but I have the same error in the act iog.

Please advice

If you issue "cat /proc/<dsmserv process id>/limits" you can see what the limits of the running process are on Linux

This may or may not be related - but there used to be (and still might be) an issue with the rc scripts for TSM where it assumes the ulimits of the root user instead of the instance user on Linux. Assuming you use the rc scripts to start TSM - If you made changed to limits.conf, recycled TSM, and it's still not set right, this might be the cause. You can either edit the the rc scripts so they manually issue "ulimit -n 4096", or change the ulimits globally for root.

Hi.

Tanks for the replay.

When I did cat /proc/11715/limits the max open files was 1024. (11715=dsmserv pid)
As root ulimit -n was 36536 an as instance user ulimit -n was 65536
I added the "ulimit -n 65535" in the startup script and restartet dsmserver servicen
and now cat /proc/15123/limits ulimit -n was 65536 :rolleyes: I'm happy

Tanks
Ivan

Glad that helped!

Cheers.

Back