Never tried this before...

jailer

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I was told to uninstall a Tivoli client from a test UNIX server & re-install it to gain insight and experience. This test server still has to function & have working backups when finished. Can anyone point out any pitfalls that I may encounter? There is a good bit of info in the manuals on install but not a lot on uninstall. What is the best/safest way to uninstall the client? I have a little experience setting up schedules on the server but nothing much on the client side. Any tips or tricks that might make this easier?

TIA

Pete.

Hi,

Good idea is to read TSM Redbooks (admin guide, TSM concepts)

I recommend you to do some tests on other machine. But if you really want to take the risk :)

First of all, DO BACKUP of your DB and study everythinq about restoring it (admin guide, "help restore db" command in admin console etc.)

Store your four magic files (dsmserv.opt, volhist.out, devcnfg.out, dsmserv.dsk) and find out what they are good for (admin guide)

Provided you have DB backup, these four files AND YOU HAVE NOT TOUCHED YOU BACKUP MEDIA you should be able to remedy almost every blast you inflict to the poor TSM.

That is all for now I think, if you have a more specific question, do not hesitate to contact me using private msgs.

Hope it helps

Harry

Harry,

I think he is asking for the client uninstall , not the server.

Jailer,

If you are on AIX, and you go into SMIT , if you goto Software Installation & Maintenance , then Software Maintenance and Utilities, there is an option to Remove installed software.

TSM should be one of the packages available for removal.

Solaris and HPUX.........youre on your own.

Back