Netbackup vs TSM vs Networker

@lPh@+OmEg@

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm trying to find out the differences between these three backup software applications, i have done a bit of research but cannot seem to see any major differences between them. So i was hoping some of you here with experience might be able to help me identify the limitations or fall backs of some of these applications.

Cheers

There is a huge difference between TSM and all the other backup products on the market. This difference is based on TSM's design that internally references backup and archive objects as individual entities. Because of this TSM can apply flexible and finely granular retention policies. TSM's architecture also enables a backup independent storage media management. Overall this object based backup method results in reduced backup bandwidth and storage costs when compared to other products on the market.

Simple answer: TSM is an Enterprise class Data Management system while others are just plain backup software.

Type of Backup, Restore & Archive
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager, because of its relational database, is able to do a more efficient progressive
incremental backup where only new and used files are backed up. IBM Tivoli Storage Manager bases its
backup on a defined number of versions for each file. When a restore is done IBM Tivoli Storage Manager’s
database knows exactly which files need to be restored, so only those files are restored. IBM Tivoli Storage
Manager is also able to perform a true managed archive, where files can be kept for a specific duration of time.
Veritas NetBackup on the other hand relies on the more traditional, though archaic, full plus
incremental/differential scheme that forces them to execute a full backup of all the data on a regular basis. This
leads to more data having to be sent over the network, and more data having to be stored on primary and offsite
tapes – thus requiring an ever increasing number of tapes. Veritas NetBackup’s backups are tracked on a
time basis. When Veritas NetBackup does a restore it must first restore the full backup, and then restore the
needed incremental or differential backups. This mean more data is ultimately need to perform the restore, and
does not ensure the accuracy of the restore results, as many purposefully deleted files might also be restored.
Veritas NetBackup’s archive is merely a backup that deletes the original file.
Integrated Disaster Recovery
Disaster recovery capabilities are built into IBM Tivoli Storage Manager. IBM Tivoli Storage Manager’s disaster
recovery utilizes critical information stored in the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager database to build part of the
disaster recovery plan, and also facilitates the entry of site specific data. The final report is easy to maintain,
easy to copy, very well documented, and always located in the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager database.
Veritas NetBackup offers, at an additional charge, a disaster recovery planning offering where trained
consultants write special scripts, that must be rewritten if anything in the environment changes.

Back