1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

NetBackup client side encryption and deduplication

Discussion in 'Symantec NetBackup' started by mesmeridze, Dec 29, 2011.

1. mesmeridze

mesmeridze New Member

Nov 2, 2011
    As i know, NetBackup provides deduplication and encryption on client side. In first step chunk is deduplicated then client sends hash on NetBackup server, to check if chunk is already present on server and then client performs encryption. Am i right that hash is not encrypted, and data may be (possibly) identified by hashes?

I red in this TSM document http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/w.../106987789/TSMDataDeduplication.pdf?version=1 that efficiency of data deduplication in case of encryption is very low. I think that this is may be cause TSM client do not show to TSM server real hashes of unencrypted data, that why is think that reliability for TSM in this case higher that for NetBackup.
    How do you think?